Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Natal Volunteer Composite Regt 7 years 4 months ago #50238

• RoyS
  • RoyS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 18
Greetings Ladies & Gents,

Continuing our recent run of badge sharing, I thought you might enjoy seeing this one - a silver Natal Volunteer Composite Regiment slouch hat badge. Now I will confess I don't know a great deal about this little known unit but believe the badge is quite early and rare, so any additional information by all you experienced chaps would be most appreciated..?

Cheerio,

Roy

Collecting/wanted ABW insignia if anyone has some spares?

My website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Volunteer Composite Regt 7 years 4 months ago #50240

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Roy
The motto "All that was left of them" was the title of one of Caton Woodville's ABW paintings; involving the 17th lancers. I have never seen such a slouch hat badge before (perhaps no big surprise, seeing my location) - would it be unofficial? Stirling (The Colonials In South Africa) says that in 9/00, Lord Roberts encouraged the formation among the Natal Volunteers of a composite Regt. of 300 men to take over the duties of the Volunteer Brigade. Stirling them goes on the describe the activities of the later activities of the Volunteers and Composite Regiment.
I have no doubt that Brett would be able to tell you much more.
Regards
IL.

Natal Volunteer Composite Regt 7 years 4 months ago #50241

• RoyS
Hello Linneyl,

Thank you for that. I looked up the painting you mention, what an incredible image.

I have seen one other example like mine on the Brit & Com badge forum along with a more official badge of a similar design yet die-stamped as apposed to hand-made. As you say these could well be unofficial or perhaps early examples prior to an official badge being manufactured. I have found some information on this unit here on the ABW site. As I recall; created in October of 1900 with four squadrons of a total of 505.

Someone put a lot of work into this badge and I for one appreciate that.

Cheerio,

Roy

Natal Volunteer Composite Regt 7 years 4 months ago #50243

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
A very fine and rare badge, Roy! Its number in Owen's book is O1767. It would have been made by a jeweller in Maritzburg or Durban, and may have his name on the reverse. Frank knows a lot about the local manufacture of badges during the ABW,

Shown below is a VCR title. Owen shows four variations of the VCR title (O2273 to O2276). This one is O2274.

Since the Natal Volunteer regiments were not permitted to serve beyond the borders of the Colony, the VCR was raised to accommodate those men who wanted to continue on active service after the end of Buller's Natal Campaign. Its activities were confined to northern Natal and the Transvaal districts of Vryheid and Utrecht. These districts were transferred to Natal after the war.

Regards
Brett
Attachments:

Natal Volunteer Composite Regt 7 years 4 months ago #50248

• RoyS
Hello Brett,

Thank you kindly for your informative reply, which I read with great interest.

I do have a copy of Owen's book on the way. It took me a while to track one down (at a reasonable price) but finally found one in the Netherlands! Fingers crossed it should be with me soon.

Very interesting to read your comments about these being jeweler made. I was impressed with the quality of this, so pleased to read this. As mentioned it was one of the aspects that caught my eye in the first place. Sadly no makers name on the back (photo attached) but good to know, as it's something to look out for in the unlikely event I come across another example.

Lovely to see a shoulder title too - I can see I will have to make it a priority to find one of these too.

I only have a very small collection of ABW badges but must confess, this has to be one of my most favorites.

Cheerio for now,

Roy

Attachments:

Natal Volunteer Composite Regt 7 years 4 months ago #50251

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hi Roy......

For having a small collection I must say that I am quite jealous of what you do have......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds