Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Insignia (1 R.B.) 5 years 4 months ago #61415

I have his full service history and he was never a musician. When I was in, the crossed swords were a skill at arms award and I do know he won several awards in shooting competitions including Bisley (centre of front row on attached photo). But thank you anyway.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Insignia (1 R.B.) 5 years 4 months ago #61416

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Insignia (1 R.B.) 5 years 4 months ago #61417

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Here is a photo of some different bugle badges take a look at the twin bugles and the badge just above the chevrons…...

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Insignia (1 R.B.) 5 years 4 months ago #61421

HORN BADGE

By necessity, light troops needed to be highly mobile however, the established method for conveying orders on the battlefield (drum beat) was found to be too cumbersome and was quickly replaced by hunting horns, which were traditionally carried by German Jägers, and which could be used either as a musical instrument or, as a gunpowder container.

The term bugle originates from the French word bugleret, which was derived from the Latin buculus, meaning young bull The ancient European Wild Ox was called a Bugle and it was from this animal that German first obtained their hunting horns. Ancient European Ox Horn

Halbmond Horn Symbolically, bugle horns had for centuries been associated with hunters & foresters however, it was the Germans who first introduced the bugle horn badge and Jaeger (hunter) green dress into military uniform, one of the earliest Regiments, being the Prussian Field Jaeger Corps of 1744.

As time went on bugle horns were made from metal with the large copper semi-circular

The horn became a symbol for all Light Infantry & is correctly referred to as a Bugle Horn

Now I have the answer, the crown donates W/O rank, the crossed swords donates Physical Instructor and the buglehorns are just generic symbol for light infantry units (see above) His official rank was Company Sergeant.....so he was Company Serjeant/Sergeant 3302 Shaw P. D.C.M. & M.D.

Insignia (1 R.B.) 5 years 2 months ago #61873

• tobes
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I came across this topic and have the answer for you.
Check out page 28 of 'Rank at a Glance': Available here - Rank at A Glance Page 28

According to this source the rank badge is for a Colour Sergeant in a Rifle Regiment, not a combination of badges.

Best
Tobes

Insignia (1 R.B.) 5 years 2 months ago #61874

Tobes,
Thanks for that mate.
Gary.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds