• Page:

TOPIC:

Unidentified Badge 4 years 11 months ago #63504

• Caldwell
  • Caldwell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Can any listener please help me identify the attached photo of an elephant tusk & rifle badge?
I've only been sent a photo of it from my contact, therefore, thus far, I can't read the wording in the triangle above the rifle barrel, but the original badge owner was Private Arthur Leonard OLDRIDGE, no-A/652 of 'A' Division, South African Constabulary (South African Field Force) who served until Nov 1902 and received the QSAM with claps for Transvaal, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, 1901 and 1902. It may not be an official badge and any ideas or clues would be appreciated.
Regards Graham in Australia
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unidentified Badge 4 years 11 months ago #63505

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
It is not an official badge but more likely a piece of what is called trench art or a souvenir…..

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Unidentified Badge 4 years 11 months ago #63507

• Caldwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Mike for a prompt reply.
The unusual badge was found amongst the possessions of the S.A. Constabulary soldier's late daughter, with two others, both very obvious sweetheart brooches. One represented the Durban Brough Council, depicting its coat of arms on mother of pearl. I'm now thinking that the cows horn (or ivory horn) shaped rifle badge is another sweetheart brooch, probably connected to the S.A. Field Force, of which Oldridge was a part when he went on campaign as a Private of the S.A. Constabulary. It's scale (small size) is the same as the two sweetheart brooches found with it. However, I'm still intrigued to know what organisation it represents.

Cheers Graham

Unidentified Badge 4 years 11 months ago #63509

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
Not all badges which incorporate actual animal parts are unofficial. Here is a British East Africa pagri badge circa 1905 which is a lion's claw set in silver. I think that you might find that your badge is also lions claw
Attachments:

Unidentified Badge 4 years 11 months ago #63510

• Caldwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Mike, I see what you mean. I guessed elephant tusk only because of the elephant trunk symbol on the metal (leather looking) rifle pouch. I'll incorporate lion claw in future searches. Cheers Graham.

Unidentified Badge 4 years 11 months ago #63522

• Caldwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello again Mike,
You were spot on, it is indeed a lion claw brooch, but not sure from the photo I was sent if the added designs/rifle on my version are metal or dull looking silver, probably the latter?
Attached is an example I found of an India tiger's claw brooch, which is virtually identical in design, but with gold adornments. I have now concluded that my enquiry is an Edwardian era South Africa lion claw hunting souvenir/sweetheart brooch, purchased by Arthur Oldridge post Boar war, because he decided to stay in South Africa permanently until he died in Rhodesia in 1975.
Many thanks for your valuable knowledge, cheers Graham.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.490 seconds