Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 3 years 10 months ago #69462

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of DNW

SAGS (1) 1879 (Tpr. T. A. Swailes 1st Cape Yeory.);
QSA (0) (639 Pte. T. A. Swailes. P. Elizbth. T.G.)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 3 years 9 months ago #69556

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A first draft of an A0 poster showing the locations and numbers issued for Town Guard QSA.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, davidh, ianbrentnall

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 3 years 9 months ago #69557

• ianbrentnall
  • Thank you received: 13
David - this is super cool! Would definitely want one of these

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 3 years 9 months ago #69559

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
I agree with Ian - this is fantastic - I obviously can't see the detail, but I think this is the first time something on this scale has been attempted? It really is wonderful to see them all plotted in one spot. I was going to suggest you add the issued number of medals per TG but then remembered that there is often a raging debate about the veracity of the stats.

Are you going to do like-wise with the DMT's and RA's?

Regards

Rory

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 3 years 9 months ago #69560

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks, Ian.

I am working how to identify the locations. Lines don't work as there are too many so I am working on a numbering system and the alphabetical list to be able to find a TG.

Each medal will them include that number and the number of medals issued, 17 in the case of the Ladismith Reserve TG.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 3 years 9 months ago #69561

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Rory,

I have recently been through all the TG pages to ascertain the net numbers issues (or as close as I can to that number).

I did have a thought to devise a standardised set of terms that the dealers could use when describing the rarity. I remember Spink last year when an issue of 80 medal was rare and 50 medals was scarce.

I could do the same with the DMT but would need to start from scratch as I have only rarely looked at these units.

I have the information and images for the Natal RA but the nice aspect of the TG poster is that it is A0 and the QSAs are very close to actual size.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Rory, ianbrentnall

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.146 seconds