Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 7 years 11 months ago #46433

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I would agree that they are very different types of units.

Here's a list of DMT: angloboerwar.com/unit-information/dmt
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Brentnall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 7 years 10 months ago #46439

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I have always assumed that the clues to the TG's and DMT's lay in their names. The TG's were just that, dismounted men who patrolled the towns, whereas the DMT's took care of defence in the countryside surrounding towns and therefore had to be mounted.

Another assumption was that the DMT's of the Cape Colony were called Rifle Associations in Natal.

Brett

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 7 years 10 months ago #46441

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Brett
Some time ago, I chanced upon a CD containing the blank attestation forms to be filled out by Colonial chaps upon enlistment. I can't help myself with that sort of stuff! Anyway, the forms for would-be DMT enlistees were those provided for in the Colonial Defence Force under the Order 32 of 17/8/1901.
The regulations are interesting in that the size of the total size of the DMTs is defined - and the area of service a DMT s was engaged to serve inside was their own district.. TGs were engaged to serve only in the immediate vicinity of their own towns. Both were classified as Class C units.There is a lot more info possibly of interest; however my printed put out pretty crook copies of the relevant pages. I will have a go at taking pics and see it that gives more readable copy. At the moment, I have to read the printed out pages with a magnifying glass :ohmy:
More later.
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 7 years 10 months ago #46443

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Thank you for the clarification, Ian. You must always give in to your impulses when such opportunities arise! I will look forward to seeing the forms.
Regards
Brett
PS I am pleased that there is another member of this forum who must sometimes resort to using a magnifying glass. My eagle eyes sharpened by the search for fossils are now good only for spotting the bones of large dinosaurs.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 7 years 10 months ago #46447

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Brett
Unfortunately, the form pages I photographed did not come out at all well. Not the camera's fault; the images on the CD are NVG. I will have to transcribe the contents of the DMT example by hand. As I am in Tas next week, it will have to wait until I get back. The contents of the CD are really quite interesting inasmuch as each Colonial Contingent had it's own headed enlistment form. The various conditions of service are also interesting. Of course, the forms are blank!!
Best regards
IL.

Medals to Town Guards and District Mounted Troops (DMT) 7 years 10 months ago #46473

• Ian Brentnall
  • Ian Brentnall's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi Brett, IL & djb, thanks for responding to my question on TG's and DMT's - very useful.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds