Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Medal clasp conundrum 7 years 1 month ago #52192

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2142
I acquired a QSA to 1338 A. Speller of Bethune's M.I. which is sans its clasps. I have every intention of reconstituting the medal but would appreciate input from members as to the correct clasp entitlement.

There are 3 medal rolls to be found iro Speller - the first has him with the Cape Colony and O.F.S. clasps clearly indicated there are also pen entries in the Belmont and Modder River Columns with the word "Yes" transcribed and, in the Remarks column the words "added 68/SA/5661 and issued 3.11.04) This would indicate to me that he is entitled to all of the above but were Bethune's at Modder River and Belmont??

The second roll accords him the South Africa 1901 & 1902 clasps with an annotation in the Remarks column "Cannot confirm Essex Militia service here. Service in BMI 20.04.01 - 14.02.02"

The third and final roll (all B.M.I.) confirms the C.C. and O.F.S. clasps.

From what I can establish (I have his Essex Militia papers) he served only with the B.M.I. in South Africa BUT, there is on Fold3 an entry that he deserted from the Essex Militia on 2 May 1900 at Warley? whilst with the 4th Essex Regiment.

Any anad all assistance is appreciated in solving this one.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medal clasp conundrum 7 years 1 month ago #52193

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good gracious, I think I'd have done the same rather than be anywhere remotely near Warley, but, Bethune's MI was raised on the 20th of October 1899 and from it's inception served in the Natal Campaign, if you are certain of the date of his service in the BMI, he clearly could not have earned those clasps with the SAMIF, without looking at him, I would suspect that Cape and OFS would be right.

Medal clasp conundrum 7 years 1 month ago #52196

• Frank Kelley
Rory,
Who are you talking about, is this Albert Speller, who was absent when the 4th Essex were embodied, on the date you mention, which was after the qualification for Belmont and Modder?
Regards Frank.

Medal clasp conundrum 7 years 1 month ago #52197

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2142
Hello Frank

Yes the very same man - if you look at the medal roll (below) it clearly states that he was awarded the two battle clasps BUT - the Essex Regt. (assuming that he was with them) weren't at either battle nor were, of course, Bethune's.

Most odd.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Medal clasp conundrum 7 years 1 month ago #52198

• Frank Kelley
Well, I have not got that far yet, but, if he received those clasps, it certainly was not with the Essex Militia.

Medal clasp conundrum 7 years 1 month ago #52199

• Frank Kelley
What does WO126/3 have to say, does it mention any prior service?
It is not impossible that he was in South Africa at the opening of the campaign on the Western Front.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds