• Page:

TOPIC:

25207 Spr A F Granger 7 years 4 weeks ago #52299

• ARANTXA
  • ARANTXA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
When i was a young lad..im now 50 my music teacher gave me these medals that he won in the Boar war I have always wondered what he did and what got them for they have bars of diamond hill belfast Johannesburg orange free state cape colony

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25207 Spr A F Granger 7 years 4 weeks ago #52301

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
From Find My Past......

First name(s) A F
Last name Grainger
Service number 25207
Rank Sapper
Regiment 1 Division Telegraph Battalion Royal Engineers

Other regiments/units
Unit: 1 Division Telegraph Battalion Royal Engineers, Rank: Sapper, Number: 25207
Rolls WO100/159 page 18, WO100/315 page 24

Notes QSA Clasps: J,CC,OFS KSA Clasps: SA01,SA02

Country Great Britain

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

25207 Spr A F Granger 7 years 3 weeks ago #52310

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Arthur Francis Grainger, a nineteen year old Gardner, from Weybridge, joined the Army, the Royal Engineers on the 23rd of May 1891 at Aldershot.
He transferred to the Army Reserve on the 13th of May 1894, but was recalled to the colours, interestingly, on Boxing Day 1899.
He served in South Africa from the 28th of February 1900 until the 10th of September 1902, before his discharge on the 12th of May 1903 at Aldershot, he received a gratuity of some £25. 12 shillings and 9 Pence the same day for his wartime service as well as a further £9 deferred pay.
It would certainly be interesting to see those particular medals!

ARANTXA wrote: When i was a young lad..im now 50 my music teacher gave me these medals that he won in the Boar war I have always wondered what he did and what got them for they have bars of diamond hill belfast Johannesburg orange free state cape colony

thanks

25207 Spr A F Granger 7 years 3 weeks ago #52311

• ARANTXA
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
i will load up a photograph this evening

25207 Spr A F Granger 7 years 3 weeks ago #52312

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I have not looked at WO100. but, reading Mike's post, I would have said the clasp entitlement is clear, moreover, that particular entitlement is also confirmed in WO97, so a careful examination of the medals, would, I expect, prove most interesting.

Quite frankly though, I was rather more interested in your original post, either you are mistaken, or, assuming, you went to school and studied music no earlier than as a five year old, your music teacher would have to have been one hundred years old!

Now that would be most unusual, I really can't imagine any school within any Local Education Authority employing anyone of that age, to teach anything whatsoever!

25207 Spr A F Granger 7 years 3 weeks ago #52319

• ARANTXA
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I was born in 1967 and Mr Granger was my music teacher he lived opposite us in Fetcham which is Near Leatherhead He was old..I went to Winchester College when I was 7 as a boarder so was then..but on another nore im sure when My father was a flag bearer one year at the poppy ceremony in London they had a Boar war veteran then must have been about 1971 (at Winchester you didnt have to be qualified to be a teacher but no rank lower than a Major !!!)

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds