Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Medals to Lord Strathcona's Horse (without raised dates) 6 years 8 months ago #54494

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=352107500182&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Lord Strathcona's Horse (without raised dates) 6 years 8 months ago #54500

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Have you not come across this medal before, Mike?
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Lord Strathcona's Horse (without raised dates) 6 years 8 months ago #54501

• QSAMIKE

djb wrote: Have you not come across this medal before, Mike?

Hi David......

No this one is new to the market...... Have not seen any record of it before.......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Medals to Lord Strathcona's Horse (without raised dates) 6 years 8 months ago #54506

• QSAMIKE
Here are his documents from LAC.......

www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-...aspx?IdNumber=12731&

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Medals to Lord Strathcona's Horse (without raised dates) 6 years 8 months ago #54509

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
Have you Dr F.K. Mitchell's "scholarly analysis of the "Dated" Q.S.A, medal situation" in the Journal of the OMRS No 1 Vol 7 1968?

Apart from the memorable line
" I met another aged survivor of Lord Strathcona's Horse in Cape Town about 5 years ago. I forgot his name but his medal - which he declined to surrender to my collection!"
goes on to say
"was identical to Drever's :- dates tooled off; the same three properly studded bars obviously unofficially fixed to the suspender; the same characteristic naming" "he too was emphatic that he had received his medal on the parade directly from the hands of King Edward"

ATB
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Medals to Lord Strathcona's Horse (without raised dates) 6 years 8 months ago #54513

• QSAMIKE

David Grant wrote: Have you Dr F.K. Mitchell's "scholarly analysis of the "Dated" Q.S.A, medal situation" in the Journal of the OMRS No 1 Vol 7 1968?

Apart from the memorable line
" I met another aged survivor of Lord Strathcona's Horse in Cape Town about 5 years ago. I forgot his name but his medal - which he declined to surrender to my collection!"
goes on to say
"was identical to Drever's :- dates tooled off; the same three properly studded bars obviously unofficially fixed to the suspender; the same characteristic naming" "he too was emphatic that he had received his medal on the parade directly from the hands of King Edward"

ATB

Hi David......

Yes I do have a copy of that article being a member of OMRS since 1972 I have all the journals except for one year which got lost in a move....... How only one year I have no idea.....

The three units that I have been trying to keep track of and kept a log of existent medals are: Strathcona's Horse, Canadian Scouts and Canadians in the South African Constabulary......

With regards to the Strathcona's I have records of: 59 Dated (4 other dated non Strathcona for a total of 63), 48 Ghost Dated, 31 where dates have been chiselled off and 3 late issues (Type 3 Reverse)......

The medals were issued without bars and some claims for bars go right up to 1910 before they were issued, the majority in 1903/05........

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds