Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Help with bars and service record 6 years 8 months ago #54773

• Diana 235
  • Diana 235's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there. I'm new to the site and wonder if anyone could help with research re. My Great Grndfather, -W.White 12982, joined up 1896, discharged 1908. He was a driver in the Army Service corps. I've attached an old photo of his medals, but would like to know at what locations did he get his bars- these aren't on his army service record- and we no longer have the medals. How would I go about this? Also he's listed as a 'Driver' - would this involve working with horses? And finally! In his record it states ' in custody of civil power '-and on the same day' forfeited 1 GC.? Pay ' - what does this mean? Many thanks for any info- it's much appreciated-as I'm really out my comfort zone here!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help with bars and service record 6 years 8 months ago #54774

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
WO100/213 shows the medal and four clasps, Relief of Kimberley, Paardeburg, Johannesburg and Belfast, so service on the western front at all of these places, a hard campaign.
His papers do not show his exact entitlement, but do confirm dates of service in South Africa, actually during the war itself, a driver in the ASC did indeed, drive horses, in "Custody" simply meant he had been arrested for a civil offence and as a direct result, he lost, "forfeited" his "GC" good conduct pay.
Interesting fellow, I wonder why he sought a transfer so soon after enlistment?

Diana 235 wrote: Hi there. I'm new to the site and wonder if anyone could help with research re. My Great Grndfather, -W.White 12982, joined up 1896, discharged 1908. He was a driver in the Army Service corps. I've attached an old photo of his medals, but would like to know at what locations did he get his bars- these aren't on his army service record- and we no longer have the medals. How would I go about this? Also he's listed as a 'Driver' - would this involve working with horses? And finally! In his record it states ' in custody of civil power '-and on the same day' forfeited 1 GC.? Pay ' - what does this mean? Many thanks for any info- it's much appreciated-as I'm really out my comfort zone here!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diana 235

Help with bars and service record 6 years 8 months ago #54775

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Diane,

He has two medal roll entries. The first (Wo100/213p12) is crossed out. This shows he earned the clasps for Paardeberg, Johannesburg, Belfast, Relief of Kimberley. His 1st company ASC was attached to Lord Roberts' staff. The second (WO100/214p144) lists the clasps Driefontein, Wepener, Johannesburg and Cape Colony. A note says 'Sent home for duty 8.11.00'

I am currently researching the Wepener engagement and it is unusual for anyone from the ASC to earn this clasp. I think this could be a mistake on the roll. It is a shame his papers do not shed more light on this.

Yes, a driver would have been engaged with all forms of animal transport, horses and oxen.

With regard to your last question, it looks like he committed a misdemeanour. To promote positive behaviours, soldiers earned good conduct (GC) stripes and pay. A transgression would lead to the loss of these rewards.

Your photo of the medal did not make it through. Can you retry please?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diana 235

Help with bars and service record 6 years 8 months ago #54776

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Frank,

That first entry was crossed through and the second entry for his is quite different.
Dr David Biggins

Help with bars and service record 6 years 8 months ago #54777

• Frank Kelley
Indeed and a different company too, the 41st, with the attached annotation, one medal and four clasps "issued to Dr White"

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Help with bars and service record 6 years 8 months ago #54778

• Frank Kelley
It is also interesting to note that roll page states that he was sent home for duty on the 8th of November 1900, WO97 suggests it was actually the 24th of the same month, he also appears on the ASC's 29th Company roll too, page 284.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.909 seconds