Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA to 2nd TASMANIAN IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 5 years 6 months ago #60560

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
Officer medals are even scarcer- I have an interest in South Australian QSA'S- over about nearly 40 years I have owned 2-currently have one and have sighted only another 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to 2nd TASMANIAN IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77464

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Ian and Frank
Greetings to all Forum members;
I recently had the good luck to acquire a QSA with 4 bars CC, Rhodesia, OFS and Transvaal.
The medal has the no. ' 133 TRPR A Dyer Tasmanian' impressed; and in a slightly different script the word BUSHMEN.
My research confirms Arthur Valentine Dyer served in SA in the 2nd Tasmanian contingent.
Seems he returned and settled in Natal SA. My attempts to find more information on the fellow has eluded me.
Any assistance from Forum members will be appreciated.
regards Evyn

QSA to 2nd TASMANIAN IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77465

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Arthur Valentine William Dyer

Born Te Kapu on 7 April 1877, to William Ruben Dyer and Margaret Sarah Gilligan, married Ada Martha Bowden,( she died in SA 1964) he died in South Africa on 4 Dec 1913.
Buried Malvern Civilian cemetery, Durban .
Regards
Adrian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSburgher

QSA to 2nd TASMANIAN IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77467

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1527
Evyn
You have a very scarce example of the QSA there. In fact, your "133 Tpr. A.Dyer" served with the Second (Tasmanian Bushmen) Contingent. This was recruited earlier than the 2TIB. The TB comprised fifty-two NCOs and rank-and-file - a half squadron of M.I.; with officers posted in SA. The usual clasps awarded to the TB were "Cape Colony", "Orange Free State", "Transvaal" and "Rhodesia". Refer WO100/293 page 206. According to Oz_Boer, and based on newspaper reports, Tpr. A.Dyer joined the SAC around 12/1900.
Your man is briefly mentioned in Wallace's "Elands River Siege" - he did not take part in that epic; having returned to Zeerust and Ottoshoop before the investment. The pic contributed by Adrian came from Bufton.
The addition/substitution of the word "Bushmen" to the naming of Dyer's QSA is probably because the original impressing was "Tasmanian M.R." and Dyer desired something a little more exclusive to mark his service.
I suggest you check the UK National Archives medal rolls of the SAC on this site to see if any more details are available.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSburgher

QSA to 2nd TASMANIAN IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77471

• FSburgher
Hello Adrian
It is a real treat to receive your and Ian's info on Tpr A V Dyer - Tasmanian B'men. Many thanks to you both.
Can you cast some light on Dyer joining the SAC in 1900 and was he entitled to a KSA?
Evyn

QSA to 3rd NSW IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77478

• FSburgher
Hello Ian
I am cataloguing and researching an ABW Aussie QSA medal, and seek help in clarifying the QSA to; 1445 Tpr G McMahon NSW Bushmen. bars are CC, Driefontein, Johannesburg and Diamond Hill.
Looking at the WO 100/289 roll this man is listed as a Sergeant with no.174 ? Was he entitled to KSA or just the SA1901 &1902 bars to his QSA?
Looking forward to receiving your reply.
with thanks Evyn

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds