Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 11 years 4 months ago #6650

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Good afternoon,

The thread on 'hensoppers and joiners' and the rare double award of a QSA and ABO made me wonder what other unusual medal combinations there were connected to the Boer War.

One, reported in the Black and White budget, was of a Crimean War veteran serving in a Town Guard. Lord Roberts and General Dartnell served in the Indian Mutiny. Some of the Americans had served in the Spanish-American wars.

Djb has a photo of an Iron Cross and a QSA! Which I've never heard of.

The latest post-Boer War medal I've seen in a group is the Coronation Medal 1953 (Spink sale 1999). Churchill had one too.

Anyone seen any later or more unusual?

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 11 years 4 months ago #6653

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Justin,

An interesting thread. There are certainly a couple of Indian Mutiny Medals + QSA at the KRRC Museum and there is a group consisting of Crimea + QSA on this site too.

I hadn't really thought of later medals. I'm always impressed to see the Defence Medal after a QSA but the 1953 Coronation is yet another step!

I do have a picture of a QSA awarded to someone who served in the Americas and will look this out.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 11 years 4 months ago #6654

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
David,
Justin raises a very interesting point about your Teutonic looking avatar, assume the recipient was a German national because of the style of mounting and the removal of the suspension bar on the QSA?
Frank

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 11 years 4 months ago #6655

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Frank,

Indeed he was. He had an interesting career and went on to be killed during the Great War serving in the German Army. I will post some information on him as he is definitely research in progress. I believe he served for a time in Argentina and is likely to have some awards for his service in that country. Researching that entitlement is proving a tad difficult!

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 11 years 4 months ago #6659

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
An extraordinary combination if correct.

Can the forum members help? Would you like to share the name and unit with us? Understand if not at this stage.

Justin

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 11 years 4 months ago #6660

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Justin,

I would be very pleased with help on this man.

Here's some of what I have so far on Alexander von Stosch.

Career:

​Born ​​23 Feb 1874
​Leutnant​​1895-1897​ German Army
​Corporal​​1900​ Kitchener’s Horse. Served 1 yr 11 days. Also served SRG
​Argentinian Service
​Oberleutnant ​1915-1918​ German Army
​Died ​​​27 Feb 1918​

Honours and Awards:

​[Kaiser Wilhelm Centenary Medal 1897]
QSA (0) [CC OFS Tr SA01] (9705 Cpl A Von Stosch Kitchener’s Horse)

Biography: (From a variety of internet based sources)

Alexander von Stosch was killed in a fatal accident near Namur on 27 February 1918 while Vorstand of Kraftfahrstelle Namur, uniform of an Oberleutnant in 5. GRzF. His obituary in the Heldengedenkmappe states he was a participant of the war in Boer War and subsequently served in the Argentine army before returning to Germany through the blockade in 1915 by using false papers.

A check of the relevant Gotha shows that Alexander Wilhelm Leopold v. Stosch was a Leutnant der Reserve außer Dienst (retired) in 1913. He was born on 23 February 1874 at Schwerin. Alexander v. Stosch had been originally commissioned into the 2. GRzF on 18.8.95 and transferred to Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 5 on 1.4.97. He left the Army on 18.8.97, returning to service as a reserve officer in Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 12 on 12.9.02. He retired from reserve service on 18.5.05 with a view to emigrating. I then find him on promotion to Oberleutnant der Reserve a.D. on 26 November 1915 on the staff of the commander of motorized troops of 11th Army.

I do not find him on any of the award rolls that have been transcribed, though presumably he'd picked up an ÖM3K from Austria-Hungary during his Balkan’s service. Or to whatever style prevailed in Argentina, where he was an officer from circa 1905 to 1914?

Before WW1 the only medal he had was the Kaiser Wilhelm I Centenary Medal, earned for being on active duty on 22 March 1897.

I'm sure he got the ‘usual’ Iron Crosses 2nd and 1st Class during the Great War, and as a General Headquarters staff type, I'm fairly sure he would have had the Austro-Hungarian Military Merit Cross 3rd Class with War Decoration, since he was on von Mackensen's staff. Quite possibly something from Bulgaria as well, or even Turkey.

A lot of this information was provided by a couple of researchers on the GMIC who helped me in the same way as we try to help others.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds