Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 6 years 4 months ago #56265

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
These beauties arrived in this mornings post purchased via a recent silent auction in Durban.

I wonder how many chaps went from the Boer War to the Somaliland Campaign of 1902 - 1904. Probably quite a few but how many were Civilian Subordinates (Whatever that may mean...)

Regards

Rory[/size]
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 6 years 4 months ago #56270

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
Nice pair Rory.
These are mine.

Cotter went straight from the South African War to Somaliland. At the completion of the Boer War, remaindered fodder and horses were shipped to Somaliland for the war there. I have a list of civilian conductors of the remount and veterinary types somewhere. Of South African importance is the Somali Burger Corps which was the first South African Expeditionary Force - there is an example on the next DNW auction. How many of those had the QSA or the ABO I do not know but that would be an exciting pairing. From my own perspective the first coloured/black South African expeditionary force was the 15th & 22nd ASC made up of coloured and black drivers of whom many would have served in the Boer War but were not entitled to medallic recognition. From the Official History...
"Two companies Army Service Corps, the 15th and 22nd , commanded by Captain C.E. Watling and E.W.W. Scott saw active service on a small scale in Somaliland. They arrived at Berbera from South Africa on the 31st July, 1903 aboard the Drayton Grange having left Durban on the 16th July. Repair materials for 6 months were taken, along with supplies and forage for 3 months
Their strength was:-
6 officers
2 warrant officers
60 rank and file
11 civilian Conductors
217 natives (Africans)
46 horses
900 mules
80 buck wagons
4 water carts

These companies worked between Berbera and Bihendula or Wagon's Rust to the foot of the Sheikh Pass. Each wagon had 10 mules and carried 4,000 lbs., i.e. 3,000 lbs. Stores to be delivered, and 5 days' forage and rations.
The Natal buck wagon was not suitable for the country, being found too heavy (1½ tons) and not broad enough in the tyre. The carriage of all stores, including water, was by camel, but it is of interest that a steam tractor was used, although it only proved itself unsuitable under those conditions.
The two companies returned to Durban on the 20th June, 1904 aboard the H.F.S. Lalpoora with 200 Cape Boys under the command of nine conductors. The accommodation retained on this ship was insufficient, and the balance of 3 conductors and 42 Cape Boys..... had to be despatched by the SS Meyun next day to Aden for passage in the German East African Liner to Durban.
Army and Navy Gazette "the excellent work that the two units had done and the splendid example to duty which has been set by all ranks during one of the most arduous small wars ever undertaken by British Troops"
I have only just disposed of my AGS medal to this unit this last month.. It was a brief look into medallic recognition for black troops. No medal for one war but one ( & in silver) for the next the following year.

The others are recruited from India, subsequent to service in the Boer War, for service with the Somaliland Expeditionary Force. Veterinary Assistant, Dooley Bearer and 1st Bombay Lancers.

Certainly a rare combination.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, azyeoman

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 6 years 4 months ago #56276

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Though not a civilian he did have command of many civilians in Somaliland.......

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...raph-battalion#16662

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 6 years 4 months ago #56278

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Forgot this group as well.......

THE BENNETT FAMILY.......

BENNETT, F.

REG. NO.: 296.071
REGT: ROYAL NAVY - H.M.S. NIAD
BARS: NO BARS AS ISSUED

REMARKS / HISTORY:

1. AFRICA GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL - SOMALILAND 1902-1904
2. 133 NO BAR MEDALS ISSUED TO SHIP.
3. VERIFIED - FEVYER AND WILSON, PAGE 61
4. 2nd Class twin screw cruiser of 3,400 tons and 7000-9000 HP.
5. SERVED BETWEEN APRIL 1901 AND NOVEMBER 1901. COMMANDED BYCAPTAIN THE HONOURABLE A. E. BETHEL. DETACHED FROM MEDITERRANEAN STATION.

SON'S MEDALS

1. 26007 S/SERGEANT S. C. BENNETT, ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS.
2. 1914 - 1918 WAR MEDAL
3. INTERALLIED VICTORY MEDAL

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 6 years 1 month ago #57677

• Charl
  • Thank you received: 32
I'm getting the following error message when trying to access pages 2 and 5. Can anyone else still access them?
Attachments:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 6 years 1 month ago #57689

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Charl,

I am seeing the same error. I will investigate ...

Update: That problem has been resolved now.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charl

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.793 seconds