TOPIC:

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 2 months ago #67734

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Warren, Albert Herbert.

He was born in Stutterheim, Cape Colony on 7 November 1869, son of Colonel W J Warren, CMG, a Kaffir war veteran. Enlisted, Troop Sergeant Major, FMR, 28 November 1888. Discharged 30 June 1890. Trooper (39), Pioneer Corps and served in the Mashonaland Expedition of 1890. Farmed at Kei Road. Enlisted at Kei Road, 9 November 1899, as 28 Trooper in 1st BrH and posted to A Troop. Trade: Farmer. Lieutenant 26 November 1899. Captain 28 January 1900. Resigned 28 April 1900. Appointed BoH (Captain) 28 April 1900. Resigned 30 November 1900. He then became a Captain in A Squadron Stutterheim District Mounted Troops and later a Captain in the Union Defence Force, Reserve of Officers. He died 24 May 1941 in Stutterheim.

QSA (4) CC Wep Tr Witt (Capt, Border Horse)

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 1 month ago #67930

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

His full group was split at some point which was a great shame. Here are the events that I have traced:

QSA (5); KSA (2) (Tpr BSAP); 1914-15 Star; BWM; VM (Lt Strathcona's Horse). Glendining September 1932. Spink October 1958 £6.
QSA (5). DNW March 2011.

His KSA is now on the market with Medals of War so if anyone purchased the QSA in March 2011, here is a chance for a partial reunite:

KSA (2). $225

www.medalsofwar.com/product/kings-south-...-c-e-ellaby-b-s-a-p/
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 1 month ago #68094

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I came across this letter in the Liverpool Mercury, 23 July 1900.

Heading: Our American letter, New York, Sunday

R J Pearson, an American Scout attached to Brabant’s Horse, who was presented with a medal for conspicuous bravery at Wepener on April 23rd last, has arrived at St Louis and has denounced to interviewers the British hospital system in South Africa, which he says is outrageous. “I was wounded in the leg” he added “and was banded about from one hospital to another until the bone knitted the bullet in and made it irremovable. The surgeon’s ages range from 18 to 21 years. They wear cuffs and look pretty, but when they get hold of a difficult case they transfer the patient to another hospital regardless of whether he dies en route. The truth is beginning to crop out in England but the worst is by no means known. The I arrived in England I got splendid attention and treatment.”

I cannot see him on the Wepener roll (the nearest is 6138 Tpe J Pearson, BrH but he was not discharged until December 1900).

I'm not sure what to make to the letter. Are there any truths within it?

I cannot see a Pearson on the BrH casualty roll nor other Pearson on the BrH medal roll.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 1 month ago #68097

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
I have enclosed another QSA with Wepner clasp to this epic thread. I have had this example for sometime now with very little detail on the recipient. So I checked him out on this site and to my amazement, Trooper 786 D.M Evans of the Kaffrarian Rifles turns out to be a casualty. All I had was a medal roll and his medal...…Happy days.
D M Evans
Trooper
Severely wounded. Kwaggafontein, 31 August 1900

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 1 month ago #68099

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
David
What an interesting letter - in some respects, anyway! I wondered if "attached to Brabant's Horse" meant he was serving with another unit when wounded. Nothing in Palmer for "R./R.J. Pearson" anywhere. However, there are examples of casualties unrecorded; so …… perhaps a possibility. I also wondered if "...at Wepener" did not mean "IN WEPENER". And there was a lot of disquiet about the medical arrangements in SA around that time. So, in my opinion, not an awful lot to peg a story on.
Best regards
IL.

QSAs with the clasp Wepener 4 years 1 month ago #68102

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Dave,

D M Evans enlisted in the Kaffrarian Rifles 22 October 1899. He was severely wounded, Kwaggafontein, 31 August 1900. Discharged 5 October 1900
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.049 seconds