Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 5 days ago #9218

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
I have no doubt that Major Gore was a superb cavalry officer, his own account is very interesting, with regards to the 5th Dragoon Guards, it was a rather large squadron too, many officers "rejoined" and in the case of one paticular officer "just in time" too, I have always felt that a medal/pair to the 5th DG is often cheaper than the same to the 5th RI Lancers, moreover, I feel it is a better choice, given that two squadrons of 5th Lancers received the Elandslaagte clasp, but only one squadron actually took part in the pursuit of the fleeing enemy.
I was very amused when I read the latest City Coins catalogue, to see the charge referred to as a "DASTARDLY ACTION" okay, so its not nice, but then, war, is not nice either.
Both squadrons concerned were regular British cavalry, what did the enemy expect?
If the "enemy" were Zulu or Sudanese, would it be looked upon in a differant way? I suspect, yes, it would, but the enemy were the Boer Republics.
Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 5 days ago #9219

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Frank,

The Boers were aghast at the charge against them after the battle and it is partly this reaction that made Elandslaagte so memorable. Much larger charges in the north of Africa seem not to have attracted the same level of attention.

You are correct about the 5th Lancers and that only a single squadron took part in the charge. Other than a few named individuals, I have not been able to split the recipients between the two. There is probably the information somewhere but I have not found it. A list of men by squadron is what I need but it has eluded me to date.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 5 days ago #9222

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
The point I was trying to make, was that there was only the one squadron of 5th Dragoon Guards present and that single squadron took part in the pursuit of the enemy and got the clasp, so my thoughts here would be, just buy a 5th DG :) Major Gore's group would be nice! :woohoo:
I suspect that the Boers who were aghast were the lucky ones! :(
Kind regards Frank

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 11 years 4 days ago #9236

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
That whole page does make for a very interesting read, it must have been a most memorable day for all ranks of both squadrons.
Kind regards Frank

djb wrote: Frank,

I agree and it made me re-read Gore's account of the charge which is very understated in may ways.

Kind regards
David

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 11 months ago #9628

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
In the next Spink auction is this QSA:

Queen's South Africa 1899-1902, three clasps, Belfast, Elandslaagte, Defence of Ladysmith (3169 Pte. J. Ratcliffe, Manchester Regt.), minor edge bruising, very fine.

I wonder how the clasps came to be in that order?

My thanks to Spink for the permission to reproduce this image.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 10 years 11 months ago #9702

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Just acquired my first Elandslaagte and have posted in this thread link below
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...slaagte-at-last#9699

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.653 seconds