Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 9 years 9 months ago #21346

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A super group, if the BWM is unnamed/erased it is a real pity, otherwise, on the face of it, super, even the AVM is named to the 7th as well!

djb wrote: A long service DoK group and I guess I should draw attention to the three clasps CGH GSM that begins the group!

Picture courtesy of City Coins

CGH GSM (3) Transkei, Basutoland, Bechuanaland (Sapper R. McArthur C.T. Vol. Engrs.)
QSA (2) DoK OFS (15 Serjt. Instr. R. McArthur Kimberley Vol. Regt)
KSA 2 bars: SA’01; SA’02 15 Sjt.Inst. R. McArthur Kimb. Vol. Regt)
1914-15 Star (Sjt R. McArthur Ordnance Dpt.)
BWM
VM (2nd C/W.O. R. McArthur 7th S.A.I.)
1897 Jubilee Medal (bronze) unnamed
Colonial Auxiliary Forces LS Medal VR (Sjt.Instr. R. McArthur Kimberley Rgt.)
Kimberley Star

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 9 years 9 months ago #21349

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
Frank,

I think the BWM is named in the same way as the VM. It is just my listing method that suggested otherwise.

A super group for sure.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 9 years 9 months ago #21358

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
Okay, well in that case, indeed super, but, even without all three clasps on the first, it would still be so in my opinion, just rather more expensive as is!
Shall you be having it? :woohoo:
Regards Frank

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 9 years 7 months ago #22405

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A very nice DoK group from the next DNW auction.

Picture courtesy of DNW

even: Major R. B. Browning, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, late Kimberley Town Guard and Kimberley Regiment

QSA (3) DoK OFS Tr (Lieut., Kimberley Town Gd.)
KSA (2) (Lieut., Kim. Vol. Regt.)
1914-15 Star (Mjr., 7th Infantry)
British War and Victory Medals (Major)
Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officers’ Decoration, GV, reverse inscribed, ‘Major & Qtr. R. B. Browning, 7th Infantry (Kimberley Regt.)’,
Mayor of Kimberley’s Star 1899-1900, ‘a’

Robert Browning was born in Wandsworth, Surrey in 1871. He enlisted into the Kimberley Town Guard, being present during the siege of Kimberley when he served as Colour Sergeant. In March 1900 he joined the Kimberley Regiment as a Lieutenant and was promoted to Captain in July 1903, Quartermaster in September 1910 and Honorary Major in February 1911. He served with the Kimberley Regiment during the early months of the Great War, seeing service in German S.W. Africa. As a Major in the 7th Regiment (Kimberley Regiment) he entered France on 7 June 1916, later serving as a Major with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Awarded the 1914-15 Star by the South African authorities, he applied for his British War and Victory Medals in October 1923 giving his address as ‘52 Praed Street, Paddington, W.2’. Major Robert Browning died in the London Hospital, Whitechapel on 7 January 1932, leaving his estate to his widow, Catherine Elizabeth Sanderies Browning.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 9 years 7 months ago #22406

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Lot 145 is an intriguing item.

DNW advertise it as QSA (1) DoK but as the picture shows there is no clasp.

A no clasp medal was earned by Gilchrist, a 'signaller at alarm post' according to the roll.

The medal, without the Star, was sold by Glendining in 1982 where it was noted as being a renamed medal.

Picture courtesy of DNW
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Defence of Kimberley 9 years 7 months ago #22412

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
I think is always nice to see a medal with this particular clasp to a British soldier!
Of course, in this particular case, he did not earn his clasp whilst actually serving in the British Army. :(
Regards Frank

djb wrote: A very nice DoK group from the next DNW auction.

Picture courtesy of DNW

even: Major R. B. Browning, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, late Kimberley Town Guard and Kimberley Regiment

QSA (3) DoK OFS Tr (Lieut., Kimberley Town Gd.)
KSA (2) (Lieut., Kim. Vol. Regt.)
1914-15 Star (Mjr., 7th Infantry)
British War and Victory Medals (Major)
Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officers’ Decoration, GV, reverse inscribed, ‘Major & Qtr. R. B. Browning, 7th Infantry (Kimberley Regt.)’,
Mayor of Kimberley’s Star 1899-1900, ‘a’

Robert Browning was born in Wandsworth, Surrey in 1871. He enlisted into the Kimberley Town Guard, being present during the siege of Kimberley when he served as Colour Sergeant. In March 1900 he joined the Kimberley Regiment as a Lieutenant and was promoted to Captain in July 1903, Quartermaster in September 1910 and Honorary Major in February 1911. He served with the Kimberley Regiment during the early months of the Great War, seeing service in German S.W. Africa. As a Major in the 7th Regiment (Kimberley Regiment) he entered France on 7 June 1916, later serving as a Major with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Awarded the 1914-15 Star by the South African authorities, he applied for his British War and Victory Medals in October 1923 giving his address as ‘52 Praed Street, Paddington, W.2’. Major Robert Browning died in the London Hospital, Whitechapel on 7 January 1932, leaving his estate to his widow, Catherine Elizabeth Sanderies Browning.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.003 seconds