Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Stellenbosch Remount Station 6 years 4 months ago #56592

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 315
I have information that the Stellenbosch Remount Station was situated on two farms , Nooitgedacht and Koelenhof, purchased per chance by CJ Rhodes in 1899 ( a lucky and lucrative purchase I would imagine). Before I head out on a wine tour in that direction, does anyone have any particular knowledge of this Remount Station and more particularly when it closed?
ATB
David
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stellenbosch Remount Station 6 years 4 months ago #56602

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Hi David

I think you will get answers on this website: www.stellenboschheritage.co.za/forum/new...outside-stellenbosch

Elmarie
Elmarie Malherbe
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Stellenbosch Remount Station 6 years 4 months ago #56603

• David Grant
Thanks Elmarie. That was the source of my information. I am heading out there on Friday for a look round. Of interest to me is the Boer War graves at Calcutta Forest. I have an Indian causalty. His pension dates from Nov. 1902 and I presume the station was still open then. I doubt there is much to see but any excuse for a dop.
ATB David

Stellenbosch Remount Station 6 years 4 months ago #56604

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
Enjoy your trip and think of us when you enjoy your wine!!
Elmarie Malherbe

Stellenbosch Remount Station 6 years 4 months ago #56666

• David Grant
Two incidental annotated evidence.

The Stellenbosch Remount Depot was the “only existing Remount Depot of South Africa” “before the war, and this with additions, and improvements has been maintained ever since.
“The site is inconvenient, as regards the Port of Cape Town, necessitating a second landing depot at Green Point, and consequently, a double establishment – however, when after nearly two years of disuse, Cape Town again became an important Remount Port, Lord Downe, after due consideration, decided to retain the existing site at Stellenbosch, and the depot there was reconstructed” PRO WO 32/18761 Report of the Remount Department.

Fazil Elahi and Pinnoo two muleteers of the Indian Transport Corps were convicted at the Paarl Circuit Court on the 28th September 1900 for the crime of assault with intent to murder another muleteer Khan Zaman, alias Blola. They were held at the Tokai Convict station. Fazil Elahi to 2 years 6 months and Pinnoo to 2 years hard labour. They were released to the Adjunct General, The Cape Town Castle for their free passage back to India on the 18th Nov 1902 when the Indian Soldiers returned to India (Cape Archive NA 496)

My casualty's pension was paid out from Nov 1902

Folio 15 (4) L/AG/26/11/2 (India Office
3178 Khushi Ram
Sowar
Relative-Mohande -widow- age 17
Pension granted from19/11/02 – Life
Rs 33 – GBP 2.20 Payable by Britain.
Punjab
South Africa 29043/03

I have previously argued that the absence of Colony Clasps on the QSA is a function of the ever changing regulations in regard to followers, non-combatants etc. so the lack of a "Cape Colony'" clasp does not exclude him from being at the Stellenbosch Remount Station in November 1902.

So for those traveling on the R304 south towards Stellenbosch, some 3 km from Koelenhof is a prominent wooded area on the left - Calcutta Forest. Purported site of the burial sites of some of the Indians who died at the Stellenbosch Remount Station.

The current farms are Koelenhof, Simonsig & Nooitgedacht.

Not totally forgotten if only for commercial gain.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie

Stellenbosch Remount Station 6 years 4 months ago #56668

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David
This must have been another very gratifying result to one of your investigations. Thank you for sharing it with us, I hope that the liquid reward obtained during your journey was to your liking. The owners of the winery are to be congratulated for knowing their history and for commemorating it on their product(s).
Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.211 seconds