Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pietersburg 4 years 7 months ago #65554

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
To be quite honest, perhaps I should apologise for ever using the word sword in this thread, notwithstanding, my observations here would be that this is a cartoon that is post Anglo Boer War, it is certainly relevant to officers in infantry regiments, whilst you did, on occasion, encounter the odd men still wearing them after the 1st of July 1916, they was a General Routine Order which specified that they should be "sent back to England, securely fastened so that the sword cannot fall out or become detached from the scabbard"
This was certainly not the case in the Cavalry and while their reputation may be regarded by some as very low, I still believe them to have been magnificent throughout, in particular during the final year, into the armistice and beyond.
I am sure you are aware of the part those brave Canadian troopers played at Honnechy and the dash on to Reumont, it certainly cannot be overstated.
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Or according to Bruce Bairnsfather……

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pietersburg 4 years 7 months ago #65557

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Afternoon Frank..... I fully agree about the later and the infantry…… There is a notification in the Archives of the Strathcona's Horse from the QM stating all swords are to be returned for shipment back to Canada dated the day after the regiment arrived in South Africa.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds