Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA - JNR Dixon - Any other Corps in which served in SA? 6 years 4 months ago #56595

• malcmere
  • malcmere's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi

I am researching my great grandfather's service in Boer war and on his medal roll under the section Any other Corps in which served in South Africa. I can't quite make out/interpret the hand writing? I think it says "Guide with OC/CC Colonial Sets"? But unsure what regiment its meant to say and would like to know so I can look up any additional medal roll records,

JNR Dixon served with Prince of Wales Light Horse and on medal roll says he was entitled to South Africa 1901 bar but his medal also has the bars for Orange Free State and Cape Colony? Where these 2 extra bars for service in the previous regiment? Joseph served from 15/12/1900 to 21/06/1901 as a Farrier Sergeant. I presume that this must of been quite a tough job as chasing De Wet must have put the horses under considerable strain.

Any help would be appreciated so I can search for any extra records.

Thanks

Malcolm

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - JNR Dixon - Any other Corps in which served in SA? 6 years 4 months ago #56596

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Malcolm
Firstly, welcome to the Forum. I am sure you will find much of interest in this site.
The marginal wording you illustrate reads to me as "Guide with O.C. Colonial Scouts" O.C. meaning, Officer Commanding. The Colonial Scouts were active from 12/99 to 4/1900 and the majority of its members joined other Colonial units. I had a trawl through the Colonial Scouts medal roll and I did not see a "J.N.R. Dixon" - nor any "J.Dixon".
Good luck with your quest.
Regards
IL.

QSA - JNR Dixon - Any other Corps in which served in SA? 6 years 4 months ago #56597

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hello Malcolm

I assume you know that Joseph Nicholas Reed Dixon was a resident of Melmoth in Zululand when he married in 1899. I mention this because of the address given on the medal roll when his medal was dispatched in 1913 (quite a late issue)

He was also a Mining Engineer by profession and 36 years old. I always find it odd when Natal-based men were recruited into Cape-based outfits as in this case. I have a QSA to someone in a similar situation.

As an aside - there was a J Dixon who served with the Colonial Light Horse but this chap is unlikely to be a relative.

Regards

Rory

QSA - JNR Dixon - Any other Corps in which served in SA? 6 years 4 months ago #56601

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would be surprised if he had actually been a serving member of the Colonial Scouts, after reading that annotation, if he was attached as a guide, regarding the P of WLH, you will find all surviving "South African Welsh" rank and file papers in WO126/101-104 at Kew, they were a very exceptional anti commando regiment.

malcmere wrote: Hi

I am researching my great grandfather's service in Boer war and on his medal roll under the section Any other Corps in which served in South Africa. I can't quite make out/interpret the hand writing? I think it says "Guide with OC/CC Colonial Sets"? But unsure what regiment its meant to say and would like to know so I can look up any additional medal roll records,

JNR Dixon served with Prince of Wales Light Horse and on medal roll says he was entitled to South Africa 1901 bar but his medal also has the bars for Orange Free State and Cape Colony? Where these 2 extra bars for service in the previous regiment? Joseph served from 15/12/1900 to 21/06/1901 as a Farrier Sergeant. I presume that this must of been quite a tough job as chasing De Wet must have put the horses under considerable strain.

Any help would be appreciated so I can search for any extra records.

Thanks

Malcolm

QSA - JNR Dixon - Any other Corps in which served in SA? 6 years 4 months ago #56608

• malcmere
  • malcmere's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Joseph Nicholas Reed Dixon was from Northumberland and his father worked his way up from coal miner to mining engineer and under-manager of Dudley Colliery. Joseph also started his career as a coal miner and followed his fathers footsteps as an engineer. Before 1889 Joseph let England and went to the Transvaal, presumedly due to the gold rush. Joseph had a ox wagon team and around 1899 pulled in at Annie Owen's brothers farm (William Owne) that had a store and accommodation for travellers - Upper Umhlatuzi Store at Nkandla, Zululand. It was here that he meet his future wife Annie Owen and they were soon married in 9th Dec 1899 in Pietermaritzburg, Natal. I do know that the Boers raided William Owen's farm and burnt the store down. When the Boer's arrived William's son Arthur Owen got on a mule and rode to the nearest town for help. I guess Joseph was working in an unofficial capacity for OC of the Colonial Scouts. It is interesting that he then turns up in Cape Town and joins the Prince of Wales Light Horse on 15/12/1900? I do know that Annie and Joseph bought a farm in Zululand which was burnt down in the Natal Rebellion 1906, Joseph served in Melmoth Reserves in 1906. Not sure when they bought this before or after Boer War? Joseph is listed on the committee for Zululand Farmers Association and as a Freemason in Eshowe Lodge listed as a farmer living in Melmoth. Sometime after 1909 Joseph continued his work as a mining engineer and also helped build some roads and bridges.

So it is interesting that he joins POWLH in Cape Town not sure why? did he temporally move the Cape Town for safety reasons with his pregnant wife who gave birth to my grandfather in 19th Feb 1901? I did get his records for Kew for POWLH but the document did not have too many clues except his address after discharge was listed as in Durban. So once the war was over the family returned to Melmoth and they eventually retired in the Isle of Man.

Thanks for the help.

Malcom

QSA - JNR Dixon - Any other Corps in which served in SA? 6 years 4 months ago #56609

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
I haven't looked Malcolm but does his attestation forms say he enlisted with the POWLH in Cape Town? The chap I referred to in my collection joined the POWLH but did so in Durban.

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds