Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

John Strutton #6349 Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry East Surrey Regiment 4 years 9 months ago #64301

• Kiwi1949
  • Kiwi1949's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am unable to find John Strutton (my Grandfather) on your schedules however I have a copy of the schedule of his medals and when they were awarded, 30th July 1902 at Pienaars Port.

I am also unable to find his cousin Edward Strutton also awarded the Queens South Africa Medal and Clasp for service in Transvaal, Orange Free State and Cape Colony. Drummer E Strutton # 581 of the 3rd East Surrey Regt, Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry.

Am I looking in the wrong place ?

Sue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John Strutton #6349 Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry East Surrey Regiment 4 years 9 months ago #64319

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Hello Sue,

No, its more that the list of people who served in the Boer War is incomplete.

I can see from the roll (the form you already have) that John Strutton earned the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal. E Strutton earned the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, South Africa 1901 and 1902. The SA01 and S02 clasps were sent to him 2 March 1910 to 16 Fulford Street, Rotherhithe.

I have looked but cannot see service papers for either man.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

John Strutton #6349 Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry East Surrey Regiment 4 years 9 months ago #64332

• Kiwi1949
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I have found Edward’s service record but none for John, my grandfather.
However I do have a photo of my grandfather and a copy of his discharge papers dated 1908, after eight years of exemplary service.
Edward’s papers record his brothers William and Joseph, for some reason. As it turned out both Edward and William were killed in WW1, Edward at Ypres and William at the Somme.
My grandfather emigrated to NZ in May 1914 and tried to join up in NZ at the outbreak of war. He tried unsuccessfully ( health issues ) but finally managed to enlist just before the end of war in 1918. Fortunately for us all he never went to war again, my father being born in 1919.
I remember my grandfather well. His tales of his days in South Africa were legendary , hopefully not too embellished for a small girl, sitting agog at his feet.
If I can assist in having any records completed I would be happy to oblige.
I found Edward’s records on FindMyPast.
Thanks
Sue

John Strutton #6349 Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry East Surrey Regiment 4 years 9 months ago #64339

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Sue,

It is great that you have some of the papers in addition to other information that has been passed down. Were he papers for the Great War? Did he have a different service number then?

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

John Strutton #6349 Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry East Surrey Regiment 4 years 9 months ago #64342

• Kiwi1949
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Yes, the service number I have on his South African Record is #581 and his number for the Great War was #230 whence he can be found on the CWGC website. That is Edward Strutton, husband to Mary at the time of his death.
If you are interested in the SA service record I could send that to you.
Actually his brother Joseph also served but survived.
My grandfather John Strutton looks very suave in his army uniform, he can have been only about 18. His discharge papers have his service #6349 but it’s all I have for him. Even his medals disappeared, into the ether....

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds