Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte 5931 T Bracken, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, POW Talana 7 years 1 month ago #52373

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay Brett, I will do over the weekend, I don't collect or rate POW medals with any particular special regard, but, I was very interested to read Meurig's comments on MI prisoners.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank
I would indeed like to see your RDF POW medal. Thank you for offering to open a new thread with it. The RDF was one of my early interests, and I still scan dealer's and auction lists in the hope of finding a Talana RDF POW. The trouble with these early Mounted Infantrymen is that they are not identified as such on their medals. The 1st and 2nd KRRC MI QSA's I do have were identified as such by previous owners, so I knew what I was buying.
Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte 5931 T Bracken, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, POW Talana 7 years 1 month ago #52385

• Frank Kelley
Meurig,
I kept my boxes, this is the St Edwards crown I made mention of, the card boxes were still issued well into this century, whilst "modern" they are not "current"

You would certainly not see this in Bertie's days pre 1953.

Sadly, things seem to have degenerated yet further into this, which looks like something a certain Gerald Ratner might have sold!
Still, never mind, at least Her Majesties crown has been retained.
Attachments:

Pte 5931 T Bracken, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, POW Talana 7 years 1 month ago #52498

• SWB
  • SWB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 451
Thanks Frank, most helpful.

I have since found Bracken died in Toronto, Canada in 1957 where at least one daughter lived.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Pte 5931 T Bracken, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, POW Talana 7 years 1 month ago #52519

• Frank Kelley
Hello Meurig,
I really do think this is a lovely group and you have probably taken it as far as possible, regarding Bracken's son, a great many Irishmen served in the American forces in the Second World War, I don't think that would be so unusual, depending on how he felt about Great Britain and the way events had developed in the lead up to the establishment of the Free State.
I suppose I would be tempted the wave some money at the MOD in respect of his MSM, they might be in procession of a list which may have an all important date upon it.
Regarding Dublin's captured at Dundee, have you been through all surviving papers yet, whilst I don't collect to this regiment, I have ended up with a few, I actually started to do that some time ago, but, sadly it remains work in progress.
I certainly do not have an issue with the way their medals were named, but, what I find rather odd, is simply that precious few have a Mounted Infantry certificate actually noted with an actual date of award, I think from memory, I only noted four out of those men's papers I had looked at and one of those was post Anglo Boer War, although, I have many more papers to look at if still extant.
There is also the matter of the dates, the casualty returns and published rolls show the 20th of October as well as the 21st of October, I assume those are the dates upon which an individual was reported missing.
I think of those shown on the 21st of October, not a single man is given as wounded, unlike the day before, where such men really stand out.

More work for us and any like minded people I think.

Regards Frank

Pte 5931 T Bracken, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, POW Talana 7 years 1 month ago #52609

• SWB
  • SWB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 451
Evening Frank

Now I have his date of death I can try an FOI request, never done one before.

When working through the "new" POWs I did look for service papers to see if they yielded any information to confirm or deny their POW status. I don't think any of the Dublin's papers I found indicated any MI training or service. This is not entirely unusual, a number of other service papers I have seen to confirmed MI men of the ABW do not show any MI training. Annoying.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Pte 5931 T Bracken, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, POW Talana 7 years 1 month ago #52642

• Frank Kelley
Hello Meurig,
Well nothing ventured, nothing gained, that is really all there is left to do and I think that I certainly would, in the case of men who served in the Anglo Boer War and Great War, it is a real no brainer, even to the MOD, that these men are long gone and you would expect more from them without them being obstructive.
Again, I think it really is a very unusual and most pleasing group, yes, I agree, the lack of MI Certificates shown in papers is very annoying indeed, thank heavens for regimental histories.
Regards Frank

Time to create page: 0.747 seconds