Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

109 Tpr. H. Bridgewater, Bethunes Mtd. Inf. PoW 9 years 9 months ago #20522

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 289

QSA with three clasps: NATAL OFS TRANS officially named to: 109 TPR H BRIDGEWATER BETHUNES MTD INFY
WWI BWM & Victory 2 LIEUT H BRIDGEWATER RFA; later he was a lieutenant in the R.A.F.

Confirmed on the nominal roll: Bridgewater H 109 E Trooper 19/10/1899 14/08/1900 Hotel de l'Europe Heidelberg, Germany Dis O R

Bridgewater was captured on 23/1/1900 and was released on 6/6/1900. Before WWI, Howard Bridgewater was Asst. Mgr. of the FINANCIAL TIMES newspaper.

Bethune's Mounted Rifles was an irregular British South African Unit. Some unable to enlist in any of the official
contingents, rushed to South Africa to join any unit they could find. There were many. Bethune's was one such unit and it included Americans, Scandinavians and Australians. For information on Bethune's Mounted Infantry, please visit: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/so...nes-mounted-infantry
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tpr. H. Bridgewater, Bethunes Mtd. Inf. PoW Hussar Hill 9 years 9 months ago #20523

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
A good pick up - I spent some time researching this group at work today.

I was wondering if the research shows the connection to Howard Bridgewater of the Financial Times. This man published a book on advertising in 1910 and I think he is the same Howard Bridgewater, barrister who published on the thesis that Francis Bacon wrote Shakespeare. Certainly a character.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Tpr. H. Bridgewater, Bethunes Mtd. Inf. PoW Hussar Hill 9 years 9 months ago #20590

• azyeoman
I wish I knew; perhaps there will be research that will make definitive connections; as of now, I've not got conclusive evidence via sources. Hopefully, "The truth will out".

Tpr. H. Bridgewater, Bethunes Mtd. Inf. PoW Hussar Hill 4 years 10 months ago #63526

• Pedley
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Howard Bridgewater was my great-uncle and is indeed the same man who worked for the Financial Times (his father was one of its founders) and wrote the pamphlet about Bacon among other items.He died in 1956 - I met him only once at a family wedding anniversary party. I have various photos of him and genealogical details if you are interested.. He told the family that while he was imprisoned he and fellow officers were allowed to leave the camp at night to sleep somewhere more comfortable, provided they gave their parole as officers and gentlemen that they would return to camp in the morning, which they did. I hope this helps your research. Best wishes, Avril

Tpr. H. Bridgewater, Bethunes Mtd. Inf. PoW 4 years 10 months ago #63529

• Pedley
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Picture in case of interest. Avril
Attachments:

Tpr. H. Bridgewater, Bethunes Mtd. Inf. PoW 4 years 10 months ago #63534

• azyeoman
Wonderful photograph! Thank you so much for posting. Do you have any genealogical information on him too? :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds