Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1621 Serjt. A. Crutchley, S. Lanc. Regt. PoW Pieters Hill 27/2/1900 8 years 11 months ago #40919

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Brett, you could be on to something there.

I have looked at the records for those listed as POW or MIA on 27 Feb at Tugela Heights - there are 13 records (not many considering the thousands involved), only two for the South Lancs, but consistent one would think as the Boers retreated at speed. Using The Times only Crutchley is listed as being released from Pretoria, most are noted as "in hospital" in March 1900, one died from sunstroke on March 28 (Crutchley's comrade).

Overall 52 men were captured/missing in the Tugela Heights battles (14-27 Feb) - all but two occurring 21-27 Feb. There are no South Lancs POW/missing for 22 Feb. Unfortunately I don't have time to see how many of these men were released from Pretoria.

Regards
Meurig

Brett Hendey wrote: It is perhaps more likely that Crutchley was captured on 22 February during the attack on Wynne's Hills, where the S Lancs were heavily engaged, and where confusion reigned at times. If he was indeed captured during this early battle on the Tugela Heights, he could well have been taken to the rear of the Boers line and sent off northwards. Given the time taken to complete the capture of the Tugela Heights, and the heavy casualties suffered by the British during the prolonged battle, mistakes in their records were inevitable.

Regards
Brett

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1621 Serjt. A. Crutchley, S. Lanc. Regt. PoW Pieters Hill 27/2/1900 8 years 11 months ago #40921

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 296

Gentlemen

, here are the rivets.
Attachments:

1621 Serjt. A. Crutchley, S. Lanc. Regt. PoW Pieters Hill 27/2/1900 8 years 11 months ago #40923

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
I can't see a problem with the rivets. Nice even toning across all three medals.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

1621 Serjt. A. Crutchley, S. Lanc. Regt. PoW Pieters Hill 27/2/1900 8 years 11 months ago #40924

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is as issued without any doubt whatsoever, I wonder where else he is on the roll.

azyeoman wrote: Gentlemen, here are the rivets.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.580 seconds