TOPIC:

Belgian Volunteer at the Anglo-Boer War 5 years 1 month ago #62529

• Pierre Delarue
  • Pierre Delarue's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
Maybe of interest for some collectors?
Original British Anglo-Boer war badges, which were found at the battlefield by Capt. De Waegenaere, will be sold in March at Maison Jules.
Capt. De Waegenaere (former Belgian Sgt. of the 3rd Infantry Regiment in 1882) participated the Anglo-Boer War, later Captain serving with the South African Labor Corps during WWI and became Vice-Consul for Portugal in Pretoria.
Some interesting pictures and his medals will be sold also.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Belgian Volunteer at the Anglo-Boer War 5 years 1 month ago #62545

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Pierre
Is there any reference to the commando that De Waegenaere served in during the South African Boer War. I observe no ABO medal ?
I look forward to checking out the auction site to see the photos on sale?
regards Evyn

Belgian Volunteer at the Anglo-Boer War 5 years 1 month ago #62567

• Pierre Delarue
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Evyn,

I went to the auction house this afternoon and they stated that they have no additional info. The lots came directly from the family and the family knew very little about his military career. It seems that he has a file at Kew London. Maybe it contains some more information. I took the time to go through the pictures and badges and everything looks original.

Best regards,
Pierre

Belgian Volunteer at the Anglo-Boer War 5 years 2 weeks ago #62755

• Pierre Delarue
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Evyn,

Found the following info on their website: auction on 24th of March. www.maisonjules.be/veiling/24-03-2019-10u-part-8/

Regards,

Pierre

Belgian Volunteer at the Anglo-Boer War 5 years 1 week ago #62859

• love4history
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Pierre and Evyn

Posed myself the same question (unit during the Boer War) as no medals. We assume that he fought on the Boer side..... Alas the photos are not detailed enough on the site to get a clearer indication of where and what but they do seem to have rather lengthy descriptions on them which might be informative. I also notice a stamp on the right top side. Pierre, do you remember what that stamp said please? Would these be private pictures or more general, official press pictures? Unfortunately it was deemed necessary to split the album in a number of lots.
cheers
l4h

Belgian Volunteer at the Anglo-Boer War 5 years 1 week ago #62862

• Pierre Delarue
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Evyn, I4h,

I went to the auction house after work to have a closer look and have the following details. It looks that the pictures came from a large collection because they are all numbered. Spotted three types of pictures. 1. made by Van Hoepen, 2. made by Stoel & Groote Pretoria, 3. unknown such as picture 138-139 (private pictures?). They all have comments in French and a 'family archive stamp' Charles De Waegenaere in a corner.They are no recently made reproductions.
These photographs are similar (format, ...) as those shown on: www.wayfarersbookshop.com/show_details.php?txtBOOK=765

I asked for his file in Kew-London. It contains only information about his WWI-career with the South African Labor Corps. No info found in his file about his Boer-War activities.

Cheers,

Peter

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, love4history

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.186 seconds