Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Modder River 7 years 1 month ago #51761

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Wonderful Brian,

Congratulations.I look forward to seeing the group if a meeting can be arranged in between me traveling between Durban and Simon's Town. My time in KZN is about done.

Cheers
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brianc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Modder River 7 years 1 month ago #51762

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
An excellent purchase, Brian!
Dr David Biggins

Modder River 7 years 1 month ago #51773

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Thanks guys

Yes, my first QSA for some time, have passed a few on to mate whom I feel deserves them more than me, Rory has done them justice with comprehensive research. Most have read and seen the results here on this wonderful Forum.

Apologies from being away for most of 2016 but as the Queen once famously said it was my " annus horribilis".

Brian

Modder River 7 years 1 month ago #51776

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
A wonderful group Brian - my O.V.S.A.C. Sergeant would have been engaged in action at Modder River for the other side - had I have had the foresight to realise it....!

Please let me know if I can assist with papers etc.

Regards

Rory

Modder River 7 years 1 month ago #51782

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Your time in Natal in done?
Why are you all leaving?
New avatar, I see, too!

capepolice wrote: Wonderful Brian,

Congratulations.I look forward to seeing the group if a meeting can be arranged in between me traveling between Durban and Simon's Town. My time in KZN is about done.

Cheers
Adrian

Modder River 7 years 1 month ago #51783

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Medals Brian, good heavens, that's not like you, very nice though.

Brianc wrote:

djb wrote: Group to H F Stevenson, from BidorBuy.

Seller's description:

An extremely rare QSA / WW1 medal group with single clasp Modder River and Army Long Service and Good Conduct medal all named to Sgt H.F.Stevenson, 62 Battery RFA.

According to the records, he was not wounded but if one reads the history, the 62nd Battery was held in reserve at the Orange River Bridge during the battle at Belmont. When the Boers attacked at Modder river, the 62nd Battery were forced matched to Modder river to assist in the battle. In twenty-eight hours the 62nd battery had covered sixty-two miles, at the expense of six horses which fell dead in their tracks, and of about forty more, which never recovered from the fatigue of this forced march. The weather was extremely hot and a large number of men fell due to fatigue. It is possible that Sgt Stevenson was amongst them as this could be one of the reasons that he only earned the single clasp (see his medical file).

This medal group was awarded to ABSM Henry Francis Stevenson. He attests as a Driver on the 14th June 1892. He is promoted to Corporal on the 31st October 1898 and Sgt in 1900. He receives his single clasp Modder river while serving with the 62nd Battery RFA. He also serves in France during WW1 for 250 days as part of the British Expeditionary Force and earns the 1914 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal and the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. This combination is very rare and the fact that the single clasp is confirmed in his records makes this group highly collectable. All other medals are confirmed in his records and the medals are correctly inscribed. He is invalided during the Boer War (1901) and returns to England. He is discharged from the Army on the 21st September 1917. It is interesting to note that his medical file clearly indicates that he was affected by the adverse climate in Africa, liver and spleen became enlarged and he suffered some damage and this caused his disability.

I have been fortunate to acquire this group yesterday, been looking for a 62nd Battery Modder River medal, so with this group there was a reasonable amount of Icing as well!

Just to put the record straight he was awarded a 14-15 Star NOT a 14 Star.

Regards
Brian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.007 seconds