Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

17561 Shoeing Smith Benjamin Thomas Griffiths – 3 Questions 1 year 4 months ago #88068

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2035
Photographs and drawings of the VSM 1-pdr "pompom" can be found amongst several posts starting here:

VSM 1-pdr "pompom" (1)

and here:

VSM 1-pdr "pompom" (2)

Neville

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17561 Shoeing Smith Benjamin Thomas Griffiths – 3 Questions 1 year 4 months ago #88069

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1182
Hello Neville
Thank you for posting that link.
I did attatch part of your information for Smethwick in the thread.

Dave......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

17561 Shoeing Smith Benjamin Thomas Griffiths – 3 Questions 1 year 4 months ago #88070

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This photograph helpfully shows a VSM 1-pdr flanked by two .303 Maxims (one carriage and one tripod-mounted). These are the guns captured from De la Rey by the Rhodesian Field Force in March 1901. The "pompom" is in a sorry state, having been stripped of its elevation screw, etc.

The resolution of the photograph is good enough to be able to read the manufacturer's plate on the side of the tripod-mounted Maxim. It shows that it is an 1889 "Maxim Nordenfelt / Maxim's Patent" example, predating the 1897 merger of Maxim Nordenfelt and Vickers, and the formation of Vickers Sons & Maxim. The gun's serial number is "No. 279".

Note the two recaptured British 15-pdr BL guns in the background.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

17561 Shoeing Smith Benjamin Thomas Griffiths – 3 Questions 1 year 4 months ago #88072

• Smethwick
  • Smethwick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 861
Thanks for the links Neville - I had seen some before but not those on second link.

My ultimate quest is to determine where "my" Smethwickian was based when he was posted to the Pom Pom Depot in 1902. Shellenbosch is obviously one possibility but I think there was also one in the vicinity of Pretoria for 3 reasons:
(a) His May 1902 Medal roll which says "to Pom Pom Depot" was drawn up in Pretoria
(b) 9695 Bombardier J Chadwick was based at a Pom Pom Depot when he died of enteric at Pretoria
(c) The Medal Roll below also drawn up in Pretoria

Pom Pom cartridges were also made into cigar lighters - see advert I have just posted.
Attachments:

17561 Shoeing Smith Benjamin Thomas Griffiths – 3 Questions 1 year 4 months ago #88087

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1542
If I might make a correction to a portion of my earlier post concerning Galloping Maxims. The History of the Royal Artillery Vol.III notes that the galloping maxims were of .450" calibre. "Useful as the had proved in the Sudan, they suffered from fatal defects for service in South Africa - they offered a large target, and they were inferior in range to the enemy's small arms".
It seems they were in.450" Martini chamber.
Regards
IL.

17561 Shoeing Smith Benjamin Thomas Griffiths – 3 Questions 1 year 4 months ago #88144

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Below is another photograph of a VSM 1-pdr "pompom" pictured with a Maxim .303.
A pencil inscription on the back simply reads: "Practising - Pom Pom"

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.687 seconds