Captain Stuart Edwin Craig DSO 3 years 11 months ago #69748

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4561
Thank you, Annie.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Captain Stuart Edwin Craig DSO 3 years 11 months ago #69772

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 246
Hi Annie

Thank you for the information, if you have a photo I would like to see it.
A mystery has been solved finally.

Regards

Adrian

Captain Stuart Edwin Craig DSO 3 years 2 days ago #76447

• CC1951
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I am interested to read that you are in possession of Captain Craig's medals as my late husband was related to him! How did you come by them? You might be interested to see his record of the capture and escape from General De Wet, skilfully drawn by himself as a 'postcard home'.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Captain Stuart Edwin Craig DSO 1 year 6 months ago #87100

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 783
As a result of my recently acquiring a couple of QSAs to men of Loch's Horse, I have made numerous searches of the medal rolls, internet etc. to find out more about this small band of troopers.

Clearly, one of the most desirable medal groups of the 220 men must be the DSO/DCM/QSA/KSA group to 24 Corporal S. E. Craig, later promoted to Lieutenant and consequently transferred to the Intelligence Department as previous posts indicate.
I am glad to know that this group is in the safe hands of Adrian. A very nice acquisition.

And what can I add to this thread?
On the National Army Museum Collection website there is a letter from Stuart E. Craig to his sister, written just as he was about to embark on his journey to South Africa with Loch's Horse. I think it gives a little insight into the quality of the recruits to the unit and conveys Stuart's excitement as he writes to his sister.
Reproduced here for research purposes only:

"4th February 1900.

2 Shrubbery Terrace,
Barbourne Road,
Worcester.

My dear Jessie,
I sent you a wire on Saturday, saying that I had been accepted and sail on Saturday 15th inst. Short notice isn't it?
I was in time to see the committee on Friday and passed the Doctor's etc. Have been measured for boots, and have taken the Queen's Shilling! The corps is quite a small one, about 120 picked men, all of whom are crack shots, good riders and know the country. We are to be enrolled at Cape Town, where we shall receive our different ranks etc. according to merit. Most of the men are gentlemen, which is a great consolation. I just managed to catch the 4:45 train from Padd where on Saturday, found all other brave and cheerful. I have to be at Barracks every morning this week, I sleep there on Thursday and Friday night.
???????? are coming to town tomorrow. Mother will stay with Mrs. Griffin at 32 Burma Road, Green Lanes N.
Tom with some friends close by I shall also stay near there for the 3 days as Hampstead is too far away from the Barracks.
We go down to practice shooting with our new rifles at Bisley on Tuesday and return by 6:45 train from here tomorrow morning.
Our kit is to be of the best woollen khaki, pigskin putties, gaiters, breeches, large felt hats.
If possible I will have my photo taken before leaving.
Will send you and Auntie one. How is the latter, I hope she is taking proper care of herself! My love to her and all the piccaninnies. I was so sorry not to see Gordon again. If you can, will you please send mother a copy of the Gazette if obtainable.
I will write again before sailing.
With fondest love and best wishes to you Allan, Auntie and all the household.
Yours.
Stuart E. Craig "

Captain Stuart Edwin Craig DSO 1 year 6 months ago #87102

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 783
CC1951,
The drawings that you have posted show Stuart to be a most accomplished artist. Stunning!
Thank you.
Steve

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.823 seconds