Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War Stamps? 4 months 2 weeks ago #93266

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 836
Found on the "My Primitive Methodist Ancestors" website:

"This envelope was posted during the Boer Occupation of the Cape and Aliwal North, using Orange Free State stamps rather than Cape of Good Hope stamps for postage, and opened and resealed with pink OPENED UNDER MARTIAL LAW censor seal applied in Durban Natal. This was sent from Aliwal North via Bloemfontein, Pretoria, Delagoa Bay, Durban to England." Jonathan Talbot

The date on the back is 1900 so definitely posted during the Boer War. It was sent by the Rev Edwin William Smith D.D. (to his mother-in-law) who was a Methodist Missionary like his father before him. Edwin served in WW1 as an Army Chaplain and returned to Africa where he became a noted anthropologist with a whole host of publications to his name - googling his name takes you to several sites about him including a Wikipedia page.

I came across him because his younger brother served in WW1 in the 1st Battalion, South African Infantry and shares a war memorial with my great uncle because they attended the same Methodist School in York, namely Elmfield College.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.706 seconds