Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Boer War link to 69 billion GBP 7 years 6 months ago #48902

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246
Brett - 'Dickie' Gorton is referred to in a number of accounts of the Wagon Hill/Platrand battle. He was wounded 13 times and was somewhat gruesomely nicknamed 'the human sieve'. It was a miracle he wasn't killed outright but bizarrely he died after a fit of hiccupping.

On a side note note I've downed many a Castle on my visits to South Africa and was very interested to learn of the Gorton connection.

Regards

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Boer War link to 69 billion GBP 7 years 6 months ago #48907

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Mike
I agree! It is upsetting to read that sometimes the medals and accompanying biographic materials have been separated by a vendor, whose only interest is in making a quick profit, and to whom paperwork is simply an unnecessary nuisance. I once heard the excuse that the new owner would want to do his own research.

David
'Castle' still claims to be South Africa's most popular beer. I was once shown a bottle that had contained Castle beer in the early 1890's. It was made of thick, heavy glass and would have made a dangerous club in a bar fight. Although I had hoped to obtain one as an additional memorial to Gorton, that was not to be. I did part with a Natal Police shoulder title in what turned out to be a one-way exchange.

Regards
Brett

A Boer War link to 69 billion GBP 7 years 6 months ago #49125

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think you might be surprised, I do know a number of people, who, very sadly, in my opinion, at least, look at medals as merely a financial asset and nothing more.

[quote="QSAMIKE"

Brett.......

Good Morning.......

Is that not the main reason that we collect???????

Mike[/quote]

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds