Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Blockhouses 4 weeks 1 day ago #94854

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 824
Like Everhard I am also amazed at the sharpness. The hairy one also worried me - I thought only officers were allowed to sport beards.

The dog looks like a Jack Russell and presumably helped to ensure they did not go hungry.

The Cameronians/Scottish Rifles Unit Information on this site only mentions the 2nd Battalion but once again Wikipedia came to the rescue:

"The 3rd battalion was embodied in May 1900 for service during the Second Boer War. More than 600 men embarked for South Africa in April 1901, and returned in June 1902."

The Shipping Records to be found on this site allowed me to firm up on this - they left England aboard the Harlech Castle on 16th April 1901 and left South Africa on 24th June 1902 aboard the Lismore Castle.

So, the photos date from between May 1901 & June 1902, it also appears to make them responsible for the death of Mr Charles R Harvey as reported in the Nottingham Evening Post of 30th January 1902:

They also suffered at least two other deaths whilst at Windsorton Road:

From Dundee Courier 24th October 1901:

From Dundee Courier 21st January 1902

They would also have had an opportunity to view the Union Jack draped coffin of Cecil Rhodes on its way to his funeral.

From The St James Gazette 2nd April 1902:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Blockhouses 4 weeks 1 day ago #94858

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
I am pretty sure the men, including the bearded chap, are wearing QSA ribbons. The 3rd (Militia) Battalion was embodied in May 1900, specifically for service in South Africa, and it is unlikely that such a high proportion (at least 7 of the 11 photographed) would have seen previous overseas service in other regiments. The QSA roll was completed at Boshof on 1st August 1901, but, as far as I am aware, very few men received medals in South Africa (a small number were distributed by Lord Roberts and the Duke of Cornwall). So, was it considered acceptable to wear the ribbon before receiving the actual medal?

This image shows how a known QSA medal ribbon (worn by Sergt T. Lawrence V.C., on the left) compares with those on the tunics of the Cameronians. Counterintuitively, black and white photography renders dark blue as a light grey and red/orange as something akin to black.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, Smethwick

Blockhouses 4 weeks 1 day ago #94860

• Smethwick
The way I read the following three articles is that ribbons could be issued before the medal as long as the medal roll had been received by the War Office. I think Neville's Windsorton Road photos show us what the final decision was regarding the third article.

From The Totnes Times 11th May 1901:

From The Birmingham Mail 13th May 1901:

From Gloucestershire Echo 13th May 1901:

I think we can also say Neville's Windsorton Road Blockhouse photos were taken between August 1901 and June 1902.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI, Neville_C

Blockhouses 4 weeks 1 day ago #94861

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Most interesting detail about the issue of QSA ribbons in the field to qualified soldiers. I had not run across that detail before.
Regards
IL.

Blockhouses 4 weeks 22 hours ago #94866

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1992
Modder River North Blockhouse (No. 75), as it appeared during the ABW, together with photographs taken on 2nd September 1981. At the time of my visit I was told by the farm owner, Casper van de Walt, that the building had not yet been designated as an historic monument, and was in danger of being lost. I'm glad to say this state of affairs has since been rectified.

One of the iron door leaves had the name "Major Learoyd, R.E." painted on its inside. This is Major Charles Douglas Learoyd, R.E., Staff for Engineer Services. A remark against Learoyd's name on the K.S.A. medal roll reads "Transferred to Kimberley".

.Courtesy of the McGregor Museum, Kimberley

PROFESSIONAL PAPERS OF THE CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS, VOL. XXX (1904)

THE BLOCKHOUSE SYSTEM IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR.
BY
BT.-COLONEL E.H. BETHELL, D.S.O., R.E.

PLATE XIV.

TYPE OF
TWO-STOREY MASONRY BLOCKHOUSE.

The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV, Moranthorse1, Smethwick, Sturgy

Blockhouses 4 weeks 16 hours ago #94876

• Smethwick
A bit off topic but more evidence that medal ribbons were handed out in the field in South Africa. The matter is mentioned in the third paragraph of a letter from Percy Powley of the RHA, written at Kroonstad and dated August 24th, 1901. The letter was reproduced in the South London Press of October 5th, 1901. Below is the letter in its entirety but I have highlighted the pertinent sentence in red:

Dear Will – Just a few lines to let you know that I am still in the best of health at present, and hope you are the same. I am sorry I could not write since I wrote you last, as we have been on the tramp a great deal, so that we hardly had time to do our own washing; but at last they have given our section a chance, and put us on garrison duty at this lively place. It’s a grand life. We have nothing to do but water our horses, feed them, and then play football. We only send one gun out a time. We have just heard one of our drivers is seriously wounded, but that is nothing – we always hear that – but I am glad to say I am very lucky. The nearest I have had to my skin is through the sleeve of my jacket, although I have had one horse killed under me, and another had his off hind leg shattered by a shell from one of the Boer’s Long Toms.

What do you think to the war now? It is still terrible fighting everywhere, but they are cowards to the backbone. They cannot face one of the dear old khakis. There are 10,000 of them down Cape Colony, and there are troops going down after them, and I see that they have put the famous cavalry leader down there (General D. French).

We were out at the diamond mines near Rhenoster Kop last week. We had a fine time out there living on roast turkey and fowl every day. They are serving out our medal ribbons this week, and it is orders that all troops out here have got to wear it. I expect they will soon be giving us our medal with all the bars on, I have got five to come – Relief of Kimberley, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg and Diamond Hill.

I think that is all I have to say at present, hoping that aunt, uncle, Fanny and Ern are in the best of health, and don’t forget to give my love to all. Although I am about 7,000 miles away from the “dear old land”, I forget nobody, so good-bye all. I remain your loving and affectionate cousin, PERCY POWLEY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 3.642 seconds