Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Important ABW items in private hands: Museum or not museum 7 months 2 weeks ago #92106

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 776
I currently take the view that we are the curators of our own museums whatever elements of the ABW we collect. Our collections remain private within our cabinets, studies, safes, bank vaults etc far from the view of anyone interested in the period.
However, thanks to this forum we are able to inform anyone with an interest about items and the stories behind them. We have no control over what happens to our cherished collections once we pass on, but the forum now bears a valuable record that is accessible to all, and so is a kind of living online museum.

I had considered leaving certain medals to the respective regimental museums for posterity. But reading the previous comments on this thread, I am not so confident in this course of action!

I do bear in mind the museum of the South Wales Borderers and the Welsh Regiment at Brecon which has a very impressive medal room and array of artefacts, especially from South African campaigns. I think this would be as safe a final destination as one could hope for, largely because of the appeal of the Zulu War to historians, researchers etc.
But as Paul says this would deprive collectors of the thrill of the chase and discovering the history of individual items which inevitably leads to greater knowledge and, yes, obsession!!

My personal hope is that my son develops an interest in all things Boer War and keeps the collection together. The Boer War Shoot was a good start!
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds