Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 7 months ago #71914

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
In the estate that I am working on right now there are a large number of books, a lot are quite common or the usual books you would find, With the Flag to Pretoria for example (3 different copies in different bindings) but there are a couple of books that I have been looking for..... There is one book, "THE RUSSIANS AND THE BOER WAR" by Apolllon Davis and Irena Filatova, 1998 which has worked it's way to the top or the pile. And another that I have not read yet, "THE BURDEN OF PROOF, Some accounts of Sir Redvers Buller's South African Campaign" by An Average Observer, 1902.....

Mike

P.S. There is a rumor that the book I mentioned earlier "The Great Karoo" is going to be made into a film......
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 7 months ago #71916

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 350
I have just finished this collection of essays looking at the crisis in Imperialism in Literature, Theatre & song developing out of the Boer War.. Initially I was looking for something to explain the "muscular Christianity" of the initial phases of the war; chivalry & attitudes to race & gender . It did not answer many of my questions but it is entralling read without any reference to the War as such. More of the "back home" attitude to the soldiers. A difficult book if you are not an historian seeped in the language of historians but I am glad to have come across it.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 7 months ago #71918

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 764
I have just finished reading Steinaeckers Horsemen by Bill Woolmer. I couldn't put it down as I read cover to cover! You really get a feel for the ethos of the unit and their flamboyant leader.
It was tough country which may account for some very short service from many recruits. You would have to be a tough nut bushman to persist in this unit.
I learned alot from the bibliographical section where each man's story is covered. Amazingly, I counted 31 nationalities on the strength (36 if you count Guernsey, Isle of Man, Orkneys, Heligoland and Jersey). A truly multi national outfit.
Sad to read about Steinaeckers fall from grace and eventual suicide.
Thoroughly recommended reading.

By the same author, Bushveldt Carbineers and the Pitersburg Horse is on my wishlist to read if I win the lottery! Hard to justify 180+ quid on a book!
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 7 months ago #71929

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Brett,

It is often useful to have these works on the shelf and even better when a potential (or actual on your case) acquisition prompts you to refer to it once more,
Dr David Biggins

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 7 months ago #71931

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
David,

I was interested to see the picture they chose for the cover of the book and wonder if that was intentional?
Dr David Biggins

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 3 years 7 months ago #71933

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Moranthorse1,

It is great when you can absorb yourself in a book in that way.

Will you now be joining the many on the look-out for a Steinaecker's medal?
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds