Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 1 year 3 weeks ago #89408

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Felix C
A good example of a detailed Regimental History is the "Extract from Digest of Service of the 2nd Bn., PWO West Yorkshire Regt. in South Africa, 1899-1902". I have a rather ratty copy of the original; however I understand it has been reprinted. I have chosen to illustrate the pages relating to the Regiment's activities during the final day of the breakthrough on the Tugela, 27th to 28th February 1900. That in my opinion shows a good example of what such a history can give to the researcher. You can see that any blow-by-blow account depends on the aspects experienced by the various combatants. However, the West Yorks were a crack unit and their experience can be seen as typical of those in the forefront of relieving Ladysmith all those years ago.

Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Felix C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 1 year 3 weeks ago #89415

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for both. I was reading "Absent Minded Beggars" and noted the small engagements mentioned therein. Also, US Army did something similar for the 1865-1890 Indian Wars. I also read on the 1895-1898 Cuban War and note similar so thought to ask. Many more troops involved in SA than the former and a larger land mass than the latter.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 1 year 3 weeks ago #89505

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Secured a copy of "The War With Johnny Boer" by Chamberlain and Droogleever . Many Thanks

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 1 year 1 day ago #89734

• Felix C
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
The National Army Museum Book of the Boer War By Field Marshal Lord Carver. 1999.
Recommended book? Read the review for the museum book and it indicates drawn from unpublished diaries, letters, etc. and that is what I am interested in.
I have to ask what is National Army? The regular British Army in new terminology?

For overall one volume history of the 2nd Anglo-Boer war my standard ref. is Pakenham. Is there a newer recommendation as that is from 1979.

BTW, The War with Johnny Boer is outstanding. Exactly what I enjoy reading.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 months 1 week ago #90444

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2006
Dave George's much anticipated Part 4 of "Carvings from the Veldt" landed on my doorstep this morning.

Once again packed with photographs and descriptions of magnificent carved rifles and handguns. A must for anyone with an interest in this fascinating field of collecting.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 months 1 week ago #90451

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Thank you for the update, Neville. Dave's past books have certainly been excellent.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.652 seconds