Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Tasmanian Nurse Elizabeth ORR 7 years 11 months ago #46593

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
An interesting article on nursing during the Boer War.

www.henrileriche.com/nurses-in-the-boer-war/

The article also contains some named pictures of nurses.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tasmanian Nurse Elizabeth ORR 7 years 11 months ago #46597

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
Thanks for posting the extra info; I saw a potted history of Nurse Orr on other sites. The reference to the Afghan medal ribbon amongst Nurse Orr's effects is intriguing. As is the 66th Regiment badge. I really don't know when Nurses first served overseas with the British Army (apart from Miss Nightingale, of course) and I am sure someone will enlighten me. Did any Nurses receive the 1878-80 Afghan medal? One of the links provided has it that "one or two" Australian Nurses served during the 1877-79 campaigns in SA. Well, after seeing some of the remarkable journeys undertaken in the Old Empire, IL would "never say never". However, the Afghan service does sound unlikely. Perhaps the Afghan medal ribbon and 66th Regt. badge were tokens of a sweetheart?
This writer has never counted himself as an "expert" on anything, really. However, before his next visit Down South, he will do all he can to pave the way towards viewing (and hopefully photographing) Nurse Elizabeth Orr's medal group and reporting what was found.
Regards to all
IL.

Tasmanian Nurse Elizabeth ORR 7 years 11 months ago #46599

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
IL - I think you do yourself an injustice!

A brief look at the Afghan roll failed to identify any units in which the nurses would have served but more research is needed here.

I found this brief history useful (source: www.army.mod.uk/medical-services/nursing/30986.aspx )

In 1866 provision was made for the appointment of nurses to all Military General Hospitals, but it was not until 1881 that an Army Nursing service was formed. Meanwhile, several sisters were sent to the Zulu War, 1879-80.

The Egyptian Campaign, 1882, led to a reorganisation of the Nursing Service, Sisters being sent to hospitals at Gibraltar and Malta and a staff of nurses was also appointed to the Brigade of Guards Hospital, London. Later, Sisters were posted to military hospitals at Aldershot and in Egypt.

Finally in 1883 every military hospital of 100 beds or more had a staff of Sisters. In 1897 Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service Reserve was formed. In the South African War, 1899, 80 of the 1,400 nurses sent were supplied by Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The experience of this war once more led to reorganisation of the Army Nursing Service and in 1902 Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service was established by Royal Warrant under the immediate control of Her Majesty, who had given the Service her name and was President until her death in 1925, when Queen Mary succeeded to that office.

We have seen example of nurses who served in the Zulu Wars but I cannot recall any Afghan medals to women. The Army Medical Department were awarded the Afghan Medal.

I read with interest that 12 nurses were awarded the NW Canada Medal.

The RRC was instituted in 1883, 3 years after the Afghan War.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Tasmanian Nurse Elizabeth ORR 7 years 11 months ago #46603

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
Thanks for the info on the Army Nursing Service and predecessors. I live and learn! I look forward to seeing what I can find out about Nurse Elizabeth Orr's medal group.
Best regards
IL>

Tasmanian Nurse Elizabeth ORR 7 years 11 months ago #46604

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

djb wrote: IL - I think you do yourself an injustice!

I read with interest that 12 nurses were awarded the NW Canada Medal.

I have seen a family Mother with NW Canada 1885 Medal (Un-Named but verified) and Daughter with RRC and OBE, WW1 medals went to a different relative and their location is unknown......

Also a short time ago a NW Canada named was floating around here for sale......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Tasmanian Nurse Elizabeth ORR 7 years 5 months ago #49369

• boerwarnurses
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi folks,

been away from the forum for far too long! My Boer War Nurses site and database are now part of the larger britisharmynurses.com site. I can confirm that British Army nurses did not receive medals for the Afghan Wars. We often find medals and badges in with nurses belongings, and I suspect the idea that they are sweetheart or thank you tokens is correct.

Cheers
Keiron

Lt Col (Retd) Dr Keiron Spires QVRM TD
Chair QARANC Association Heritage Committee
E: [email protected] | @army_nurses | britisharmynurses.com
Researching Nurses in the Boer War 1899-1902
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.441 seconds