Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Private H.T. Caines, 48th (North Somerset) Coy I.Y.- died in Somerset, 25.8.1900 1 year 9 months ago #84638

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
In All Saints' Church, Wraxall, Somerset. Trooper Caines died at Tyntesfield, the home of the Gibbs family Long Ashton workhouse. Could he have been Lieutenant Gibbs' servant in South Africa? It could explain why he accompanied the invalided officer back to England. An Edwin Caines (born at Charlton Horethorne) was a servant in the household of Henry Martin Gibbs, J.P., in Lancaster Gate, London.
Trooper Caines was buried in the churchyard at Charlton Horethorne, South Somerset

IN MEMORY OF
HENRY THOMAS CAINES
TROOPER IN THE NORTH SOMERSET
IMPERIAL YEOMANRY
WHO DIED OF ENTERIC FEVER
CONTRACTED IN
SOUTH AFRICA, August 25, 1900.
This Brass was erected by George Abraham Gibbs,
Lieut. North Somerset Imperial Yeomanry
. .

....When Lieut. George A. Gibbs returned invalided in the Canada from South Africa he was accompanied by Trooper Henry Thomas Caines, of the North Somerset Yeomanry, who became very ill on the first night he landed in England. He became so much worse on reaching Tyntesfield that Dr. Fuller was called in. He stated that Trooper Caines was suffering from enteric fever. A trained nurse was at once sent for, and everything possible was done, but all to no purpose, unfortunately, as he died on Saturday evening. The home of the deceased, who was 29 years of age, is near Sherborne. An order for a parade of the local troop of Yeomanry, to which he belonged, has been countermanded.
The Bath Chronicle, Thursday 30th August 1900

Edit: Church dedication corrected, my thanks to Smethwick for this.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private H.T. Caines, 48th (North Somerset) Coy I.Y.- died in Somerset, 25.8.1900 1 year 9 months ago #84641

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Berenice
Looking at Private Caines attestation papers, he was a groom by trade. Perhaps he tended Lieutenant Gibb's horse?

Not sure if the family tended to him whilst suffering from enteric fever though :)

Ps......I wonder if Edwin was Henry's Father or Brother? ....Certainly connected to the Gibbs family through Edwin perhaps?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Smethwick

Private H.T. Caines, 48th (North Somerset) Coy I.Y.- died in Somerset, 25.8.1900 1 year 9 months ago #84642

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Cheers, Dave. Groom sounds right.

The report I found says a doctor and nurse were called in, then that he died. Doesn't mention that he was removed to the workhouse to die. Very sad ending. At least someone made sure his body was returned to his home village for burial.

I had a request on Find A Grave for a photo of his headstone or grave, but someone had a look in late 2020, and told me that the old graves are in a bad state and his couldn't be found.

Private H.T. Caines, 48th (North Somerset) Coy I.Y.- died in Somerset, 25.8.1900 1 year 9 months ago #84643

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
Edwin Caines, the butler, was the brother of Henry Thomas Caines. Their father, also Henry, died in 1898 and was a lowly agricultural worker. So the two boys did well - and I would imagine Edwin, the elder, was instrumental in Henry junior getting a job at the "big house" as a groom.

Workhouses were also infirmaries. I would have thought, quite sensibly, there was concern about spreading the disease to one and all in the "big house" and the nearby infirmary was considered a better option with the Gibbs family, who made their fortune out of guano, paying for the trained nurse and Dr Fuller's fees.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Dave F

Private H.T. Caines, 48th (North Somerset) Coy I.Y.- died in Somerset, 25.8.1900 1 year 9 months ago #84646

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Private Caines paperwork enclosed.
His army pay was divided and left to his brother's Edwin & William and sister's Maud & Bessie. The workhouse where he was taken had a isolation hospital and the Gibbs family were benefactors. In 1860 a chapel was funded and built on the workhouse site by the Gibbs family.

Attestation Papers

Medal Roll

Personal Effects
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Smethwick

Private H.T. Caines, 48th (North Somerset) Coy I.Y.- died in Somerset, 25.8.1900 1 year 9 months ago #84650

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
Dave - an excellent set of finds - last night I missed the isolation hospital on the workhouse map because I was excited, thanks to Canada, about just having found my 208th Smethwickian.

I presume you found his service records on Ancestry - normally I find ABW Service Records on FMyP but have noticed IY Service Records are on Ancestry only and include those of the fallen.

Tyntesfield House is now NT and I wonder what family papers are now in their possession which could add to this upstairs-downstairs story?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.239 seconds