• Page:

TOPIC:

S.A.War memorial Newcastle upon Tyne 2 years 9 months ago #77776

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Re Posted......

This was posted in BMF but locked......

britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&...63a416941adb490b7814

Today's Telegraph Online reports that a Boer War memorial is in the line of fire.

Situated on Haymarket, St Mary's Place jct Northumberland Street, Newcastle upon Tyne's 112-year-old monument to fallen soldiers from local regiments will be ‘reinterpreted’.

The Boer War memorial - paying tribute to 370 fallen soldiers - will be given a new "suitable interpretation" after the conflict was deemed a “colonialist enterprise”....

I'm not sure what British Regiments are represented on the memorial - does any ffm have a QSA, QSA/KSA or group to a recipient commemorated thereon?

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

S.A.War memorial Newcastle upon Tyne 2 years 9 months ago #77777

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 776
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for letting us know of the disappointing prospects for this memorial to the ABW, which I have yet to visit.
I do have a QSA to a man commemorated thereon as follows;

3667. Private W. Jecks of the 1st Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers, a regiment which has served the country well through times of strife and sacrificed far too many of it's number, from before the South African war through to the Korean War in the 1950s.

Private Jecks served with the regiment during the Sudan Campaign for which he was eligible for the Sudan medal with the clasp " KHARTOUM" and also to the Khedive's silver medal.

Sadly, Private W.Jecks was killed in action whlist serving with the NF at Belmont. His QSA bears the single clasp " BELMONT". Please visit the relevant pages on this forum for more information on the involvement of the NF during this engagement and throughout the Boer War.

What would Jecks and co think of all of these developments, one can only speculate.

Steve

S.A.War memorial Newcastle upon Tyne 2 years 9 months ago #77784

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
The memorial is a Grade 2* listed building (or structure), the highest category after Grade 1. Grade 2* is applied to "particularly important buildings of more than special interest."

"In England and Wales, the management of listed buildings is the responsibility of local planning authorities and the Department for Communities and Local Government (i.e., not DCMS, which originally listed the building). There is a general principle that listed buildings are put to 'appropriate and viable use' and recognition that this may involve the re-use and modification of the building. However, listed buildings cannot be modified without first obtaining Listed Building Consent through the relevant local planning authority."

Examples of Grade II* listed buildings
Battersea Power Station, London
Cleveland Bridge, Bath
Coliseum Theatre, London
Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, Liverpool
Manchester Town Hall Extension, Manchester
Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge, Middlesbrough

So I'd say that the local council will be limited in what they can do. Perhaps put up an information board next to the memorial? Can't see them getting away with changing the inscriptions.

Time to alert Private Eye, and Editor Ian Hislop, about this, I think.
www.theguardian.com/media/2005/nov/06/themilitary.broadcasting
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

S.A.War memorial Newcastle upon Tyne 2 years 9 months ago #77785

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1883
Good Morning Berenice.....

Thank You Berenice, I knew if there was anyone who knew what to do it would be you are all the memorials Grade Listed.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

S.A.War memorial Newcastle upon Tyne 2 years 9 months ago #77786

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
Good question, Mike, I'd never thought of that before. Turns out to be not many in the two highest categories.

There are no Grade I listed ABW memorials.
Grade II* listed ABW memorials

Grade II* listed ABW memorials are the Memorial Arch at Brompton Barracks; the memorial in York close to the cathedral; Clifton College, Bristol; Worcester; Birmingham; the Royal Artillery memorial in London; Newcastle; and one at Eastbourne, Sussex, which covers 1882-1902.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_II*_listed_war_memorials_in_England

There doesn't seem to be a list of Grade II listed ABW memorials.
I did a search on the Imperial War Museum site and there are at least 164 Grade II listed ABW war memorials in England. Those that are in churches are probably covered by the building being Grade II listed, but there are some secular memorials - Appleby; Bedford; the York & Lancaster's memorial in a Sheffield park; the Colonel Benson memorial in Hexham......
www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search?query=&p...lGrade%5D%5BII%5D=on

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.469 seconds