Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Postcards 9 months 2 weeks ago #91361

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1182
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Postcards 9 months 2 weeks ago #91363

• EFV
  • Thank you received: 379
Thanks David, really helpful! But the enigma deepens as on close inspection the original artwork image I have has LM in the left hand corner. Did Lorenzo copy Hoffman or the other way around?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Postcards 9 months 2 weeks ago #91377

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1182
Q :- Did Lorenzo copy Hoffman or the other way around?

Was Lorenzo an established artist? If so, was he as proficient and a painter of Military personnel? If you study Anton Hoffman's previous works, he is certainly a hard act to follow. He was an exceptional military artist. However, if M Lorenzo copied the supposed original? He made a damn good job of it.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV

Postcards 9 months 2 weeks ago #91385

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2035
Four cards/covers with artwork by 4 Trooper Alfred I. Lyons, Bethune's Mounted Infantry (later served as 833 Sgt Lyons, Johannesburg Mounted Rifles).
These are printed cards, but I have seen them advertised as original drawings.

1. JOUBERT'S XMAS PUDDING / WITH BULLER'S LOVE.
2. XMAS AT THE FRONT. / BRINGING IN THE BOER'S HEAD.
3. XMAS GREETINGS. / A HAPPY NEW 'EAR OLD CHAP.
4. THE ABSENT MINDED BURGHER.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1

Postcards 9 months 2 weeks ago #91399

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2035
La paix Anglo-Boer

1. Enfin! La paix est faite. Les Anglais son victorieux des Boers qui les ont battus. All Right!
2. Les Anglais gardent les coups et lauriers que les Boers leur ont gracieusement octroyés et donnent à ces derniers quelques compensations en échange.
3. Les contribuables anglaise et les actionnaires des mines d’or paieront les frais de la guerre.
4. Les fermes boers incendiées seront reconstruites avec dernier mot du confort moderne.
5. Les Boers devront rendre d’une main leurs fusils et munitions et les reprendre de l’autre.
6. Les Généraux boers seront versès avec le grande supérieur dans l’armée anglaise, et des épées d’honneur leur seront offertes.
7. Une école de tactique guerrière à l’usage des officiers généraux anglaise, sera tenue par les officiers boërs. Par exception Lord Kitchener sera préfet des études.
8. Sous toutes réserves. Le roi Édouard VII abdiquerait en faveur de l’oncle Paul qui règnerait sous le nom de Paulmagne.
9. Le roi Édouard redevenu Prince de Galles, aurait Paris pour résidence et un crédit illimité.
10. Comme don de joyeux avênement le roi founderait les états-unis-d’Afrique…(?) On espère que monsieur Chamberlain en mourra!

The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV, Rob D, Moranthorse1

Postcards 9 months 1 week ago #91433

• EFV
  • Thank you received: 379
Boer War collecting-fun for less than a Euro this time comes in the form of a rather curious postcard. It was sent as a “Compliments of the Season” greeting in December 1903 by one Frank in Cape Town to Donna Elisa Grimaldi in Napoli. The postcard features used postage stamps of the allegorical figure “Hope” I do not know how Frank got the greeting to his undoubtedly-delectable Donna, as the address side doesn’t feature a postage stamp; perhaps it left the fair city in an Italian diplomatic bag. Can someone enlighten me as to the object of this postcard (convey lost hope? If so, lost hope of what?)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.512 seconds