Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Large Carriage Clock Presented to Trooper J.F. Nielsen June 1901 10 years 7 months ago #14134

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
The price was 6000 pounds!

Frank Kelley wrote: Justin,
I want one! :sick:

JustinLDavies wrote: Here is an example of the Helensburgh clock that was sold recently by a Kent antique dealer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Large Carriage Clock Presented to Trooper J.F. Nielsen June 1901 10 years 7 months ago #14135

• ahentschel
  • ahentschel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Frank and Justin,

Thank you so much for all your information. You have definitely solved the mystery of Trooper James F.Nielson and his Helensburgh clock. What a fantastic story !!! Now I'm curious how this clock came to Canada. Did some of his descendants emigrate to Canada? When you mentioned the clock had been auctioned in Kent, did you mean Kent in Ontario, Canada? Maybe it was 6 months ago and not 6 years ago that Adrian purchased it. We live in Lambton County Ontario and Kent County is the next county to us. I would love to find living descendants of James F. Nielson. I checked out the website you mentioned, Justin. It's great to see a photo of James. Thank you both.

All the Best,

Ann

Large Carriage Clock Presented to Trooper J.F. Nielsen June 1901 10 years 7 months ago #14136

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
A pleasure - it was Kent, England and not the Neilson clock!

ahentschel wrote: Dear Frank and Justin,

Thank you so much for all your information. You have definitely solved the mystery of Trooper James F.Nielson and his Helensburgh clock. What a fantastic story !!! Now I'm curious how this clock came to Canada. Did some of his descendants emigrate to Canada? When you mentioned the clock had been auctioned in Kent, did you mean Kent in Ontario, Canada? Maybe it was 6 months ago and not 6 years ago that Adrian purchased it. We live in Lambton County Ontario and Kent County is the next county to us. I would love to find living descendants of James F. Nielson. I checked out the website you mentioned, Justin. It's great to see a photo of James. Thank you both.

All the Best,

Ann

Large Carriage Clock Presented to Trooper J.F. Nielsen June 1901 10 years 7 months ago #14137

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ann,
Don't thank me, the laurels here belong to Justin and not to me, I'm just used to working with the War Office files at Kew, so all I had was a gut reaction about the man we originally discussed not being the man in question, but, I was right when I thought about volunteers in the SAMIF and Helensburgh!
You would not leave Scotland and then join a District Mounted Troop!
Kind regards Frank

Large Carriage Clock Presented to Trooper J.F. Nielsen June 1901 10 years 7 months ago #14138

• Frank Kelley
Not a give away bargain then! :sick: :(

JustinLDavies wrote: The price was 6000 pounds!

JustinLDavies wrote: Here is an example of the Helensburgh clock that was sold recently by a Kent antique dealer.

Large Carriage Clock Presented to Trooper J.F. Nielsen June 1901 10 years 7 months ago #14139

• Frank Kelley
I think that this is one of the most magnificent pieces of its type that I have seen to date, better by far, than the usual pocket watch or snuff box etc!

Frank Kelley wrote: Not a give away bargain then! :sick: :(

JustinLDavies wrote: The price was 6000 pounds!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.640 seconds