Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41193

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Campaign medals are normally clearly shown in WO100, all LSGC 's were awarded by a particular Army Order on a particular day and were a token, in effect, from a commanding officer, Buckley's service was enough to earn a QSA and four clasps.
Army numbers changed circa 1920, before that they were allotted by a particular regiment to each man within, in addition, Winifred Adey was shown as deceased, from memory, around 1910.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bucknobs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41208

• OLD STUBBORN
  • Thank you received: 8
Just to add a little more, in July 1899 (Old Stubborn Monthly Journal) shows he passed and was awarded the 2nd class education certificate taken at Aden on the 27th May 1899. As you know he served in the Boer War with No 10 Malta Mounted Infantry Company, being awarded QSA clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1902 so the medal should have four clasps in total. The dated clasps were issued some time later and therefore were unfortunately not fitted or just slipped loose onto the ribbon yours most likely being lost. He was posted to "B" Company on the 2nd September 1902 and later became RSM also recommended for the LS&GC medal on the 1st July 1917. (Other number was 7424). It might be worth you trying to locate the 1911 Sherwood Foresters Regimental History which gives a very good account of the doings of these numerous Derbyshire Mounted Infantry units. Medal roll shows, 59 men served in this company including one of my own blood relatives.
His full service papers are on line which will give you all the information you ever needed to know.
Kind Regards, Mel.

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41211

• bucknobs
  • bucknobs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Mel,
Where do I see this history online Mel? His number 7424 is on his long service medal. When he was called back to train troops for duty in the First World war is when I think he was made up to RSM.
Best regards,
Bucknobs.

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41214

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
He was awarded the LSGC, by an Army Order (it's particular number is not given) of the 1st of April 1917 for his Home Service that had commenced on the 19th of September 1914, he joined the Special Reserve as a Private and was promoted to Sergeant on that same day, he was again promoted on the 3rd of November 1914 to the rank of Company Sergeant Major before his appointment to Warrant Officer Class two on the 29th of January 1915.
His original papers for both engagements have survived in WO97 and WO364 at Kew and are available whilst there and on line via fmp and ancestry respectively, however, you should note that manual searches within WO363/WO364 not possible with only the folio being available, WO100 is available via ancestry.

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41215

• bucknobs
  • bucknobs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

Thanks Frank,
You guys have helped me tremendously and really opened up my Grandfathers past for myself and family. I have to apologise about the skirmish letter which I have attached! Its not from the Boer war but from (I think) the Punjab Frontier?? Its dated 1898 I know its not Boer war but can anyone shed light on it?
I have also attached photos of his medals.
Best regards,
Bucknobs.
Attachments:

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41216

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Here You Go......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds