TOPIC:

Arthur de Courcy Scott 8 years 10 months ago #41537

• Croxford
  • Croxford's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

I’m also building up a family tree and so researching the military career of my great grandfather Arthur de Courcy Scott. My wife’s family is Afrikaans South African and apparently has some family ties to Commandant Gideon Scheepers? Hopefully I can use the website to piece together if these two men may have operated in the same areas.
Arthur De Courcy Scott – Graduated from Sandhurt, spent time in India and Burma before being posted to South Africa on the Britanic sailed from Southampton Jan 7 with the : 2/Cheshire Regiment.
He survived the Boer war, but meets his end at hill 60, Ieper 5th May 1915, where he is buried at the Zillebeke Churchyard.
That’s it for now.

Richard Croxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Arthur de Courcy Scott 8 years 9 months ago #41840

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Hi Richard and Welcome!

I see that a single IGS to A De Courcy Scott was sold by Christie's in 2001. The catalogue entry said:

IGS 1854 (1) Burma 1887-89 (Lt. A. De C. Scott, 2d Bn. Ches. R.)

Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur De Courcy Scott was born at Thornhill Park, Hampshire in February 1866, the son of Major-General A. De C. Scott, R.E. Educated at Wellington College and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, he was gazetted to the Cheshire Regiment as a 2nd Lieutenant in May 1885 and quickly witnessed active service in the Burma operations of 1887-89, where 'he saw much fighting'. Advanced to Captain in October 1894, he was back in action in South Africa with the 2nd Battalion and was present at the engagements at Karee Siding, and the Vet and Zand Rivers, in addition to other operations in Cape Colony and the Transvaal. Scott was advanced to Major in November 1907, while the Regiment was stationed in India, and it was from here that he embarked for France in August 1914. Advanced to Lieutenant-Colonel in November, when his Company Commander was posted missing, he led his Battalion until his death in action on 5.5.1915 in the attack on Hill 60, Ypres.

Have you accessed his officer's papers at the National Archives?

I don't know of any book devoted to the 2nd Chesure Regiment in the Boer War but Twenty Second Footsteps, 1849 - 1914 by Crookenden may help.

Good luck
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds