Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medallion - The C.I.V. Medal 1901 10 years 11 months ago #10782

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Yes it is and again that is one of the reasons why I have trouble giving out values.....

There are many cases where I have put a bid in on something at what I think is a fair price plus a little more and get blown out of the water.....

It is what a person will pay..... A single BWM went on ebay the other day for over 200 Pounds......

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: That is a lot of money Mike!

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medallion - The C.I.V. Medal 1901 10 years 11 months ago #10785

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Yes, I know what you mean, I once saw a single BWM sell for crazy money, but, the recipient of this particular medal had fallen victim to the guns of Werner Voss. :(
Regards again Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Yes it is and again that is one of the reasons why I have trouble giving out values.....

There are many cases where I have put a bid in on something at what I think is a fair price plus a little more and get blown out of the water.....

It is what a person will pay..... A single BWM went on ebay the other day for over 200 Pounds......

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: That is a lot of money Mike!

Medallion - The C.I.V. Medal 1901 10 years 11 months ago #10786

• TheBreaker02
  • Thank you received: 3
Yes, there were 11 items to the CIV at that Christie's sale in October 1999 and one of those was a cased CIV medallion, it was estimated between £400.00 to £500.00 and was finally sold for £460.00 plus their commission.

In fact the reason why it was so high, was it was engraved around the rim to "The Ancient & Hon. Artillery Company of Boston"

The two days sale was quite an event, I often look at the catalogue. I bought a QSA to a CIV member at the same sale.

Best regards,

TheBreaker02
Live every day as if it were going to be your last; for one day you're sure to be right.

Medallion - The C.I.V. Medal 1901 10 years 11 months ago #10788

• TheBreaker02
  • Thank you received: 3
you mention Pieter Ooshuizen's book on Boer War Memorabilia, I have a number of items show in the book in my collection.

Best regards,

TheBreaker02
Live every day as if it were going to be your last; for one day you're sure to be right.

Medallion - The C.I.V. Medal 1901 10 years 11 months ago #10792

• QSAMIKE
Was that Christie's or Spink's sale.....

If Christie's had a sale I would love to get a copy of their catalogue.....

Mike

TheBreaker02 wrote: Yes, there were 11 items to the CIV at that Christie's sale in October 1999 and one of those was a cased CIV medallion, it was estimated between £400.00 to £500.00 and was finally sold for £460.00 plus their commission.

In fact the reason why it was so high, was it was engraved around the rim to "The Ancient & Hon. Artillery Company of Boston"

The two days sale was quite an event, I often look at the catalogue. I bought a QSA to a CIV member at the same sale.

Best regards,

TheBreaker02

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Medallion - The C.I.V. Medal 1901 10 years 11 months ago #10793

• QSAMIKE
Yes it is sort of my unofficial bible on Boer War Collectables and I have two copies..... One he gave to me and autographed and one that I check off the items as I find them if they are in the book..... He used to have a store in London but when I went there in November I was told he had passed away.....

Mike

TheBreaker02 wrote: you mention Pieter Ooshuizen's book on Boer War Memorabilia, I have a number of items show in the book in my collection.

Best regards,

TheBreaker02

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.908 seconds