Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SS Maine American Ladies’ Hospital Ship Fund Commemorative Medallion 1899 10 years 3 weeks ago #19093

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
Here is a picture I have of the Medical Staff of the Hospital Ship Maine.
Sorry about the quality of the picture, but the original isn’t great. These are the names on the picture, but there are a couple I can’t make out.
Back Row, L-R.
Dr. Weber. Sister Virginia. Colonel Hariman? PMO. Captain St--- ? Dr. Dodge. Sister Margaret.
Front Row, L-R.
Miss Hibbard. Sister Ruth. Lady Randolph Churchill. Miss Warrender. Sister Sara.

James.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SS Maine American Ladies’ Hospital Ship Fund Commemorative Medallion 1899 10 years 3 weeks ago #19097

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
My QSA is to CF O'Brien Army Medical Service.

SS Maine American Ladies’ Hospital Ship Fund Commemorative Medallion 1899 8 years 6 months ago #43621

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
Thought this might be of interest.
The photograph from "The Sketch" (3rd January 1900) shows Nurse Manley (Assistant-Superintendent, Pennsylvania Hospital) of the Hospital Ship Maine, wearing one of the enamel badges.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Opcom

SS Maine American Ladies’ Hospital Ship Fund Commemorative Medallion 1899 3 years 1 month ago #75551

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Just returned from a quick foray to the local auction house, and managed to snaffle this one - not core to my collecting theme but it looked like it needed a home on terra firma having been at sea for too long.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

SS Maine American Ladies’ Hospital Ship Fund Commemorative Medallion 1899 3 years 2 weeks ago #75876

• Neville_C
Nice to see another example of the rarer silver issue. Identifiable at a glance by the milling on the top edge of the rim.

SS Maine American Ladies’ Hospital Ship Fund Commemorative Medallion 1899 1 year 1 week ago #89463

• Neville_C
The white metal version of this fund-raising medallion came in a maroon morocco case, variously lined with blue, green or burgundy velvet & silk. I have seen a fair number of these over the years, always in fine condition. I suspect many come from a cache of unsold medallions, which appear to have found their way onto the market in the 1970s or 80s.

These medals were donated by Fletcher, Son & Fearnall Ltd., Union Docks, Limehouse. The white metal variant sold for 2s 6d and the silver one for £1 1s. First mentioned in the press on 14 December 1899, these souvenirs were advertised as being available to order through Mrs Blow (secretary of the fund) or the donors. The solid silver version was described as having been struck in "a limited number". Although scarce, the silver medals were not, as has been suggested, presented to members of the committee only.

Morning Post, 14th December 1899

MAINE COMMEMORATIVE MEDALS.

Messrs Fletcher, Son, and Fearnall (Limited), Union Docks, Limehouse, have presented commemorative medals of the Maine for sale on behalf of the fund. Orders for the medal, in case, at 2s 6d each, or for a limited number struck in solid silver at £1 1s each, may now be booked either through the secretary of the fund, Mrs Blow, Walsingham House, Piccadilly, or through the donors.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.634 seconds