Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Colt machine guns - calibre? 3 years 7 months ago #71995

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 775
Does anyone know whether the Colt machine guns were in .303 calibre? I assume so, but can't find it written down.
thanks
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colt machine guns - calibre? 3 years 7 months ago #71996

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Rob
Yes, the Colt machine guns used by the British were in .303" calibre. Logically, they would have been of little use in a non-standard calibre. They were sometimes referred to as "Tape Guns"; due to the rounds being held in a narrow belt. The.303" Maxim was the official issue MG - but in those free and easy days, MGs could be purchased by a wealthy Officer/benefactor for his/her lads. For example, Col. Thorneycroft. finding no MGs available borrowed three from the Colt Company. Numbers of Colt MGs were used by Colonial Australasian contingents.
The Colt was a fairly light job (being air cooled, not water cooled like the Maxim) and was quite well thought of. However, it did not have the sustained fire capacity of the Maxim..
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Colt machine guns - calibre? 2 years 6 months ago #79466

• Rob D
Continuing this thread:
I understand that Lord Dundonald had a Colt Company of four .303 calibre machine guns, mounted on "galloping carriages" which he had designed.
I believe the Colts were commanded by volunteer officers, three of whom may have been: Lt Clutterbuck, Capt Hill, MP, and Maj Villiers.
I would love to know more about any of the officers commanding the Colts, if someone can enlighten me?
Photos courtesy MC Heunis; the second shows Capt Hill MP's Colt

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C, pfireman

Colt machine guns - calibre? 2 years 6 months ago #79469

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2009
Rob,

Lord Dundonald seems to have believed his invention had real potential as a business venture. To this end a promotional campaign was launched, with expensive advertising merchandise.
Below are two cigarette cases depicting his invention. It seems these were given to potential customers.

..Promotional exhibition of the carriage (Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News, 24th February 1900)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D

Colt machine guns - calibre? 2 years 6 months ago #79471

• Rob D
Great stuff, Neville! Your collection is astonishing.
Lord Dundonald was a "much publicised and overpraised officer", according to one of his men ( samilitaryhistory.org/vol022rs.html ) yet he found time during the South African War to patent yet another invention, the "SYP": Wedgwood's "Simple Yet Perfect" teapot. The principle was that the teapot could stew the tea on its back and be put upright for pouring. (Personally, I don't see the allure of the design

).

But... I still want info about the volunteer officer machine-gunners - Lt Clutterbuck, Capt Hill, MP, and Maj Villiers - anyone?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Colt machine guns - calibre? 2 years 6 months ago #79473

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2009
Rob,
Churchill, in his despatch of 25th January 1900, indicates that:
Lieutenant Clutterbuck, 4th Hussars, commanded the Maxim of the 13th Hussars, to which regiment he was attached.
Mr Hill, M.P. [Captain Arthur Hill, S.A.L.H.], commanded one of Dundonald's Colt guns (on galloping carriage).
Major Villiers commanded "our own Maxim", which seems to imply the Maxim of the South African Light Horse.

All of the above were in Dundonald's 3rd Mounted Brigade, so the three guns employed could loosely be described as "Dundonald's". However, it seems that only Captain Hill’s gun was a Colt employed at Brigade level. The other two (the Maxims) belonged to individual regiments.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pfireman

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.565 seconds