• CatherineCoomber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Dave
Thank you for your reply
My Great Grandfather's name is William Brown
Number 1562
He served in the A H Corps ( I know this as we have a medal of his)
He was born in Coventry Warwickshire England

I found some Army records on 'find my past'
Which say he enlisted in 1860 at Westminster London England
1871 he was sent to Canada with the Army
1873 he married in Canada
1877 sent home to England
In 1880 on his son's birth certificate it states father Staff Sergeant in Army Hospital Corps they are living in Norwich Norfolk England
1881 he goes to NATAL South Africa with the Army
1882 I think January he comes back to England
On 1891 census it states he is a Retired Staff Sergeant living Greenwich Kent England

I hope this helps
Cathy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Uniform Identification 2 years 3 weeks ago #82550

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1176
Hello Cathy
Many thanks for the information, I will have a good trawl through the uniform books this weekend. Just a quick question, did your G Grandfather ever serve in any other regiment to your knowledge, possible milita? before the A H Corps. The uniform you posted shows a lance Corporal stripe on the right shoulder and what looks like 2 crossed muskets/ rifles on his left lower sleeve.

Dave.....
PS.......additional information

The Army Hospital Corps was raised by Royal Warrant on 1 August 1857 to provide orderlies for military hospitals, except those in India. It replaced the Medical Staff Corps, which had been embodied on 22 June 1855. In December 1859, the name Medical Staff Corps ceased to appear in the returns of the distribution of the army and was substituted with the name Army Hospital Corps.

The first transfers from the Medical Staff Corps to the Army Hospital Corps took place on 31 October 1859, when No 4 MSC William Stawtree and No 461 MSC Benjamin Rawlins became No 1 AHC and No 2 AHC respectively with the rank of Sergeant Major. On 30 November 1859, No 2 MSC Blake John became No 275 in the AHC with the rank of Sergeant Major. Captain and Brevet Major Stonehouse George Bunbury MSC, who on 22 June 1855 had been placed in charge of the Medical Staff Corps, became a Captain in the new Army Hospital Corps on 3 February 1860.

The men of the AHC had been initially recruited from soldiers in infantry regiments. This was in accordance with the Royal Warrant of 22 February 1875, which specified that the ranks of the Corps will be filled by Non-commissioned officers or soldiers volunteering from the ranks of the army, or by recruits whose enlistment for General Service may be authorised by the Secretary of State, with a view to their undergoing a course of probation at the Royal Victoria Hospital Netley, (later replaced by the DepĂ´t and Training School Aldershot), preparatory to their being transferred to the Army hospital Corps, if deemed eligible for service therein.

Men generally joined the Army Hospital Corps after two to three years' military service and had to undergo a probationary period of six months before being accepted into the corps. They enlisted for twelve years under the Army Enlistment Act of 1870, of which six years were with the Colours and six years with the Reserve. However, while soldiers in India served for the full six years with the Colours, those in Britain could pass into the reserves after three years. From 1878, the AHC fell under the Cardwell Short Service System, and recruits now served for 3 years with the Colours and 9 years with the Reserve. After 1877, the number of soldiers transferring from the infantry declined, as from 1875 the AHC enlisted men directly from civil life and trained them in both military and hospital duties.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, CatherineCoomber

Uniform Identification 2 years 3 weeks ago #82551

• Dave F
Message for Spener
Hi Spener
Paper work for you as promised, relating to the possible military service of your G Grandfather. Please advise if this is correct or drastically wrong on my part.

Dave......
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Spener

Uniform Identification 2 years 3 weeks ago #82552

• CatherineCoomber
  • CatherineCoomber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Dave
Thank you for the information
I do not know if my Great Grandfather served in any other regiment
I only know he served in A H Corps because of the medal we have
I knew his name from being told as a youngster but didn't take a lot of notice (so wished I had) When my Father passed away we found the medal and when i started researching my family tree I looked for my Great Grandfather and found his Army Records
When a relative passed away last year I was given some photos etc as every knows I am so interested
I am sure I have a photo of some wounded soldiers at Netley Hospital. I will have to look for it. But I do know a cousin was in hospital at Netley so presumed the photo was of him
Regards Cathy

Uniform Identification 2 years 3 weeks ago #82557

• Spener
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
wow dave, this is amazing and you have the right man, emma fearn was my g grandmother, this is goona be great to show the family and cant thank you enough.
Martin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Uniform Identification 2 years 3 weeks ago #82558

• Dave F
Hi Martin
Your very welcome, so glad we got the right man...and woman.

Very best wishes

Dave
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.753 seconds