Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA medals with a story 7 years 3 months ago #51281

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello all
* I recently acquired a QSA to L/ Corpl W Smart KSOB on the strength of him being WIA at Paardeberg 21 Feb 1900.
Upon closer inspection the three bars are as follows Paardeberg /Johannesburg and Transvaal.
My understanding is that Johannesburg and Transvaal can't be on the same medal??
Per the medal rolls Smart was entitled to Cape Colony and the SA 1901 bar which are not on the ribbon.

Am I correct in saying that the bars should in fact be in sequence; CC, Paardeberg, Johannesburg and upper most SA1901??
By securing the correction, and removing the Transvaal bar will the value of the medal be enhanced?
What do the wise men think?
your suggestions please.

* I have the QSA with 4 bars to Pte AE Halford, 17th Lancers, WIA at Jamestown; CC, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Wittebergen. Can anyone tell whether the the KSA with 2 bars impressed to this cavalryman exists in a private collection somewhere??
I'm expecting a miracle.
Thanks
I'd like to reunite the pair if at all possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA medals with a story 7 years 3 months ago #51283

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A glance at WO100/182 shows William Smart was entitled to Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Johannesburg and South Africa 1901, this latter being returned in 1908, as he had died in 1905.
Is the medal as issued, if yes, I would just leave it, if, however it has been messed around, I would have the work done, have you actually got his other medals?

QSA medals with a story 7 years 3 months ago #51331

• FSburgher
Hello Frank and others,
I'd like to know more about Walter Smart's service in the KOSB for my record and interst.
I'm not aware that he had other medals and it's news that he passed on in 1905 could it have been because of his ABW injuries??
The QSA medal in question was so found in a collectables shop in Maryland USA.
Could a forum member please comment on the 'Johannesburg & Transvaal ' medal bar issue.
thanks

QSA medals with a story 7 years 3 months ago #51336

• Frank Kelley
William Smart joined the Army, the KOSB, just before his twentieth birthday on the 1st of July 1885, with very considerable service, including not only Foreign Service, but actual Campaign Service in Egypt with their 2nd Battalion, having been discharged, he was recalled to the colours on the 7th of October 1899 and served in South Africa from the 4th of January 1900 until the 10th of November 1901, with their 1st Battalion before being discharged on the 5th of April 1902.
He subsequently joined the KOSB's 3rd Militia Battalion the following year and died in 1905.

When you say "medal bar issue" are you suggesting his medal was issued with those clasps?
If yes, can you show a clear photograph of both medal and clasps and in particular, the rivets and naming please?
His entitlement is very clear in WO100/182 as already stated

FSburgher wrote: Hello Frank and others,
I'd like to know more about Walter Smart's service in the KOSB for my record and interst.
I'm not aware that he had other medals and it's news that he passed on in 1905 could it have been because of his ABW injuries??
The QSA medal in question was so found in a collectables shop in Maryland USA.
Could a forum member please comment on the 'Johannesburg & Transvaal ' medal bar issue.
thanks

QSA medals with a story 7 years 3 months ago #51339

• FSburgher
Hello Frank
Thanks for that info, I wonder where Smart's other medals are?
I can't work out how to attach the picture of the QSA . dismal at this job.
The QSA medal bars are Paardeberg, Johannesburg and Transvaal; Transvaal shouldn't be on the medal and the Cape Colony and the SA 1901 bars are missing. I accept the explanation re the 1901 bar, but I can scout around for replacements of this and the CC bar.
I haven't been able to see the script or the naming as the item is still in the mail. Where are you located ? It is 3 pm here.
regards Evyn

QSA medals with a story 7 years 3 months ago #51344

• Frank Kelley
It might be worth looking at the London salerooms archived auction lists to see if there has been any trace of Smart's Egypt pair, if still extant, they would certainly make a most handsome trio, the most important thing for you to do next, is to satisfy yourself that the medal you have bought was actually his, if it is and the naming is correct, then the next thing to look at is those clasps and more importantly, the rivets.
I really rather doubt, if indeed, it is his medal, that it was issued by the mint in that way, however, if it was, it would certainly be a talking point around the coffee table and I would leave it as is.
If not and the medal his been messed around with, I would have the work done, I would not add the South Africa 1901 clasp simply because whilst entitled, WO100 confirms it was returned.
On the subject of his wound, I would be tempted to just assume a slight one, it is not mentioned in WO97.
He was promoted to Corporal on the 25th of October 1900 whilst in South Africa, his appointment to Lance Corporal had been on the 25th of January 1887 and he had gained his Mounted Infantry certificate on the 2nd of December 1889 whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion.

FSburgher wrote: Hello Frank
Thanks for that info, I wonder where Smart's other medals are?
I can't work out how to attach the picture of the QSA . dismal at this job.
The QSA medal bars are Paardeberg, Johannesburg and Transvaal; Transvaal shouldn't be on the medal and the Cape Colony and the SA 1901 bars are missing. I accept the explanation re the 1901 bar, but I can scout around for replacements of this and the CC bar.
I haven't been able to see the script or the naming as the item is still in the mail. Where are you located ? It is 3 pm here.
regards Evyn

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds