Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Liverpool Regiment 1 month 5 days ago #94709

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 763
4349 PRIVATE EDWARD DAVIES

Edward Davies was born in 1875 in Liverpool, which was in the county of Lancaster at that time.
His attestation document states that he was 18 years and 10 months of age when he enlisted on 29th November 1893 at Liverpool. He was a Bricksetter by occupation. I believe this entailed forming the clay mix into the frames for brickmaking prior to being fired in a brick kiln. Hot and dirty work I would have thought.

His vital statistics were as follows:

Height: 5' 7 1/8"
Weight: 132 lbs
Chest range: 33" to 35"
Complexion: Fresh
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Brown
Church of England
Distinctive marks:

As can be seen above he had a few tattoos! Also of note the phrase 'Special' is found in this section. I have come across this before. I do not know what this means, I hardly think it would confer any special benefits to Edward!

Edward completed 19 years service with the colours:
Home: 29/11/1893 to 26/11/1899
South Africa: 27/10/1899 to 30/11/1900
Home: 1/12/1900 to 15/12/1908 ( on 31/12/1900 he married Mary Jane Evans in Enniskillen, Ireland, with whom he had six children; Mary Evelyn, Charles Mortimer Stanley, Edward Leigh Wyatt, Frederick James, Annie Elizabeth and Edith Margaret. The last two both born in India).
India: 16/12/1908 to 11/10/1912
Home: 12/10/1912 to 28/11/1912

Edward received the certificate for 3rd Class of Education on 21/12/1894 and a Certificate for Butchery on 7/9/1909.

His next of kin was his father James Davies of 33 Paley Street, Liverpool. Also his brother Frederick James and sister Sarah Jane residing at the same address.

Queen's South Africa medal awarded to 4349 Private Edward Davies bearing clasps Cape Colony, Transvaal and Laing's Nek.

Impressed naming to the rim.

Impressed regimental naming to the rim.

But this was not the end of Edward's soldiering. At the outbreak of the First World War, Edward once again took the King's shilling at Seaforth on 14th September 1914 at the age of 39 years and 5 months being allocated service number 12044 as a returning member of the Kings Liverpool Regiment.
His previous military experience stood him in good stead as he was promoted relatively rapidly to Lance Corporal on the day he enlisted, Acting Corporal on 24/9/1914, Acting Sergeant on 7/10/1915 and finally Company Sergeant Major on 24/5/1915, a rank he enjoyed upto his discharge from the service on 31st December 1919 when he returned to the family home at number 2 Bland Terrace, Lothian Street, Everton, Liverpool having completed a total of 24 years and 3 months in uniform.
During his Great War service of 5 years and 91 days he remained in the UK in a training capacity. I find from his paperwork that he was at the Officer Training College at Manchester University. I wonder how he felt getting to know these young gentlemen and then sending them over to France and Flanders never to return home. A poignant thought indeed.

This old soldier passed away in his hometown of Liverpool in August 1946 at the age of 70, described as a General Labourer and Army Pensioner.

A humble QSA to a Private in the Liverpool Regiment during the Anglo Boer War has revealed a considerable length of military service following a little further research.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.866 seconds