Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Queensland Imperial Bushmen 1 year 1 week ago #89491

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Jim
Very nice, indeed. The felt and gold wire Queens Rifle shooting badges from the early 1900s are seldom seen these days; being essentially fragile. Best kept away from the light and in plastic bags.
Well done!
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Queensland Imperial Bushmen 1 year 1 week ago #89503

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Good evening David & IL,
Thanks for sorting out the photos David.
IL, the frame with the medal & badges is very well packed and the badges are covered with cardboard to shield them from light.
The fellow who had them previously had them on a wall for some time and then someone suggested that they are covered and the next time I saw them they were proudly displayed on the wall with the gold badges well covered.
To be honest I was very surprised when they were offered and I accepted immediately, definately wasn't going to knock back a collection of that quality.
occasionally the Queen's badges are seen but unless they come with someone to attribute them to they mean little unfortunately. The gold engraved badges are sought after apparently. I have a couple of South African Q.S.A.'s with shooting badges but they are few and far between.
Have a goood weekend gents,
Jim

Medals to the Queensland Imperial Bushmen 1 year 10 hours ago #89652

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi Jim,
Congratulations on a fantastic pick-up. I'm quite jealous indeed!!

I have in my possession a 'Collector' magazine published by Arms and Militaria Press probably 15-20 years ago which actually features items belonging to Edney Richardson 6QIB which includes your medal, medallions and the Boer Mauser that you have described.

If this magazine or article is not included in the paperwork that you have also taken possession of, please contact me and I will be happy to scan the relevant pages to assist in your further research.

Congrats once more and we'll need to talk again soon,

Trev
The following user(s) said Thank You: jim51

Medals to the Queensland Imperial Bushmen 1 year 7 hours ago #89654

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Hi Trev,

Thanks for responding to the post. It has been a while, another Gun Show at Toowoomba next month, I am intending to be there.
Will you be there? I'll/we (Janette) be taking Don W with us, he has a permanent booking in the car.

I'll will take up you offer of the copy from the journal. You can email if that is the easiest.

Good to hear from you.

Cheers,

Jim

Medals to the Queensland Imperial Bushmen 9 months 1 week ago #90834

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902, with pin-back ribbon suspender bar. (95 Pte T.H. Adams. Queensland I.B.);
ISM GVI (Thomas Henry Adam)

Together with Queensland Mounted Infantry hat badge in gilt (51mm) (Grebert p212); a pair of dress woollen shoulder boards for the Moreton Regiment; case for ISM; storage box to fit all items.

ISM: Fourth Supplement to LG 11/10/1946, p5092, to Senior Sergeant Thomas Henry Adams, Queensland Police Force.

Confirmed 95 Thomas Henry Adams served in the Boer War with Queensland 5th Imperial Bushmen Contingent.

Thomas Henry Adams, born 14Sep1880 at Cabarlah near Toowoomba, Qld; joined 7th Moreton Regt in 1898; was one of 25 infantry-men selected to represent Queensland at the signing of the Federation in Sydney in 1900; joined the Queensland Imperial Bushmen at the start of the Boer War and served there until the end of the war in 1902; joined the Queensland Police Force in 1905 working at various country centres and was promoted to senior-sergeant while stationed at South Townsville in 1935; retired at age 60 and was given a farewell party by officers from the Valley Police Station on 17Sep1940; Served in WWII with CMF as Q381 Sergeant Thomas Henry Adams, Security Service Int Corps Qld Det from 6Nov1940 to 17Oct1945; awarded Imperial Service Medal in 1946; Thomas Henry Adams died in Sydney on 12Aug1954.

The following was reported in the Warwick Examiner and Times on Monday 17 February 1908, page 2. 'That on the Warwick Rifle Range on Saturday last, Constable Adams provided a record - ten consecutive bull's-eyes at 900 yards. That Tommy was applauded for his effort and won a 13/- prize for a 7-shot possible at this range. That Adams was a "fifth contingenter", but he did not "pink" ten Boers in as many shots as he could have last Saturday. The burglars during the coming show carnival might remember that Constable Adams has his "eye in".'

With Boer War and AMF Certificates of Discharge as well as other research.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Queensland Imperial Bushmen 1 month 2 weeks ago #94435

• Sapper97
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
One of my favourite medals to the Queensland Imperial Bushmen, Pte. J. Locke from Brisbane. His family home in Brisbane was walking distance from where I grew up as a kid. He served with the 5th Queensland Contingent at the battle at Onverwachte notably among others and saw hard fighting across the cape and the Transvaal.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds