Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Master Bootmaker to the S.A.C. 9 years 2 months ago #25053

• charles.chapman
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Rory. Man, am I glad I've come across this web site and this forum, particularly this topic. You see, Joseph Henry Goss was my great grandfather. His daughter, Olive Blanche Goss married my grandfather, Charles Ernest Chapman in St Pauls Church, in the parish of St James, Devonport, Devonshire on 10th Feb 1919. I have their original marriage certificate which was witnessed by Alice Mary Goss and a Mr W. George Prideaux. Unfortunately, the writing on the certificate is not as clear as it could be and Olive Blanche Goss's father looks like it reads Joseph Huntley Goss, which is why we have had a devil of a job finding out anything about him, until now.

I would love to share and receive any information around on the Goss family, in particular I would like to get the definitive storey about the sinking of the Galway. My mother, Inez Moira Chapman, is the daughter in law of Charles Ernest Chapman and Olive Blanche Goss, having married their only son (only child, in fact) Charles Ernest Goss Chapman. My mother recalls a story about the Goss family being on a ship that sank, or was sunk by a German U-boat and Olive Blanche Goss playing a key roll in saving family members in this disaster. Apparently the shock from this experience turned her hair snow white.

I look forward to being able to exchange more family information with any of the Goss family still in South Africa or anywhere in the world for that matter. My name is Charles Kelly Chapman, son of Charles Ernest Goss Chapman and Inez Moira Chapman, grandson of Charles Ernest Chapman and Olive Blanche Goss and great grandson of Joseph Henry Chapman and Alice Mary ?

Kind regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Master Bootmaker to the S.A.C. 9 years 2 months ago #25054

• McEwan Goss
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Baptism of Charles Ernest Goss Chapman ...

Turns out you have quite a family presence in KwaZulu-Natal...
FamilySearch has this whicvh you may or may not have seen... “South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers, 1801-2004,” index and images, FamilySearch ( familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-23579-38196-5?cc=1468076 : accessed 14 January 2015), South Africa > Cape of Good Hope > Kimberley, St Cyprian > Baptisms 1914-1923 > image 166 of 199

Master Bootmaker to the S.A.C. 9 years 2 months ago #25056

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Hello Charles

I see McEwan has introduced himself - although not of your direct line he has been of great assistance to me in researching your grandfather Joseph and has plenty of information which he will no doubt share with you.

I am interested in obtaining a copy of Joseph's birth certificate but will send you a PM (Private Message) with my e-mail address. In terms of reciprocity I have plenty of information of Joseph which you are most welcome to.

Regards

Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds