• Page:

TOPIC:

Ramah Spring. 9 years 4 months ago #24343

• Ramah Spring
  • Ramah Spring's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3

"Ramah" or "Ramah Spring" is the location on the Orange River from which the boundary of the Orange Free State and Griqualand West was drawn. It is close to Orange River station.

During the war the name RAMAH was packed in stone on a hill close by. The straight leg of the "R" is 120 yards long. The symmetry of the whole is perfect. We claim this as the largest ABW graffiti site.
At the top of the first "A" is the inscription, etched in the stone "This was made by the Irish Fusileers (Engineers) during the Boer War".
It begs the question: Who inscribed this on the stone?

At the base of the letter "R" is a flat stone with lines drawn on it pointing to strategic points on the construction of the name. Engineers who have viewed the name suggest that it was flagged from the fort which is about 1km from the face of the kopjie.

I am interested in any information anybody may have about Ramah and in particular military activity in the area. I have built up a considerable library of stuff for such a small spot but would love to add to it.

As an aside, my great grandfather FJ Mudd was in SA with the SA Constabulary and settled at Luckhoff after the war. He was also the South African 100yds hurdles champion.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ramah Spring. 9 years 4 months ago #24352

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
I hadn't heard of that before so many thanks for posting it here. I'll check the papers and see what they have to say.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.972 seconds