Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Request list of Americans that fought with the Britsh in the 2nd Boer War. 7 years 10 months ago #46902

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Anth1856
Sorry I addressed my previous post to jan!! There is quite a good bio of Tpr. Chadwick of Robert's Horse on www.canadianmedalofhonor.com ; interestingly it refers to him as fore initial L -wheras his Distinguished Conduct Medal notices have him as fore initial J.McK. Tpr. Chadwick was the only recipient of the US MoH and the British Empire's DCM. It appears that Tpr. Chadwick's DCM was awarded for bravery at Sannas Post. Hoping that I won't be attacked for breach of copyright, I have attached a couple of pics from the abovementioned site; Tpr. Chadwick's (not very good) portrait and another similar of his gravestone.
A very brave man
Regards
IL.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anth1856

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Request list of Americans that fought with the Britsh in the 2nd Boer War. 7 years 10 months ago #46940

• Anth1856
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you for this material. I had forgotten about the DCM.
Chadwick is the only US MofH recipient who was awarded the DCM while serving with British or Empire forces.
Thomas Pope, the last living US Army World War I recipient was awarded the DCM but unlike Chadwick his award was not gazetted.

Request list of Americans that fought with the Britsh in the 2nd Boer War. 7 years 10 months ago #46944

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
The author of the snippet on Chadwick was not very knowledgeable about the Boer War : Sanna's Post = Koorn Spruit .
I will post something about an American who did earn a DCM at Sanna's Post a bit later: has to dig in my archives and scan.
Henk

Request list of Americans that fought with the Britsh in the 2nd Boer War. 7 years 10 months ago #46948

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Many of the Americans who fought with the British enlisted into the regiments of the South African Mounted Irregular Forces at the seaports of Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban. They enlisted for six months.

The nominal rolls of these regiments are held at the National Archives, Kew - the WO 126 series. My suggestion would be that you get a researcher to check the nominal rolls of the SAMIF. If your great grandfather did indeed serve in an SAMIF regiment then you will be able to take the research further by finding enlistment forms, medal rolls, unit histories etc.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with the research.

Justin

[email protected] wrote: My great grandfather, William M. Yeager, born in 1878 in Cambria County, Pennsylvania had listed the fact that he fought in the Boer War along side the British cited in his obituary.
How do I find a list of Americans that fought with the British in the 1898-1902 era? He fought in the Spanish American War in Cuba and in the Philippines. He also may have been in the Boxer Rebellion in China.

Can you refer me to a link or website that lists the names and regiments of the 300 Americans that fought in the 2nd Boer War?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Request list of Americans that fought with the Britsh in the 2nd Boer War. 7 years 10 months ago #46953

• Henk Loots
Hi
In May 1984 I purchased a single Edwardian DCM to Tpr V D Todd, Robert’s [sic] Horse. The asking price was £340- which equated at the time to approximately R600-. It turned out to be an exceptionally good acquisition to a very brave American cowboy and is still one of the highlights among the Boer War DCM’s in my collection

Van Dyke Todd, a 6ft tall American Stockman, attested in Roberts’ Horse on 17 January 1900. He was 30 years old and under “next-of-kin” listed his father, George T Todd of Jefferson, Texas.
Some 10 weeks later, he was singled out in Gen Broadwood’s account of “The Affair at Sannah’s Post” as being one of the men who risked their lives to save comrades under heavy fire, and he was duly Mentioned (but without details) in the London Gazette of 16 April 1901. This was followed by the award of a DCM in the London Gazette of 27 Sept 1901.
Brief details of Todd’s gallantry are in Cassell’s “History of the Boer War” Vol I, p854:
However, a full account of what Todd did to earn his DCM can be found in an unexpected source, “The History of Lumsden’s Horse” by Pearce, p105:“….And one Todd, an American who had enlisted in Roberts’ Horse, galloped out to a donga, braving a perfect fusillade, and brought in a wounded man. Todd also wrought hard to save the guns.”

Todd was discharged from Roberts’ Horse in Pretoria on 22 April 1901, having completed his service. Four days later, probably hankering after his peacetime work, he accepted service in the Corps of Cattle Rangers at a rate of pay of 6/- per day. This was 1/- per day more than he had earned with Roberts’ Horse and, in addition, when conducting stock over a distance of more than 20 miles (32km), he would be entitled to a bonus of 7½% on the slaughter value of the stock. What he did wrongly over the following months will probably never be known, but on 25 Nov 1901 he was discharged from the Corps for “misconduct”.
He then travelled down to Cape Town and, on 16 Dec 1901, attested in the Imperial Light Horse. He was finally discharged on 22 June 1902.
His QSA was issued off the roll of Roberts’ Horse and the KSA off the roll of the 1st Imperial Light Horse but tragically the whereabouts of the pair is not known.
Henk
Attachments:

Request list of Americans that fought with the Britsh in the 2nd Boer War. 7 years 10 months ago #46972

• Henk Loots
Hi
It seems I had some "finger trouble" with the Todd entry!

Brief details of Todd’s gallantry are in Cassell’s “History of the Boer War” Vol I, p854:
However, a full account of what Todd did to earn his DCM can be found in an unexpected source, “The History of Lumsden’s Horse” by Pearce, p105:“….And one Todd, an American who had enlisted in Roberts’ Horse, galloped out to a donga, braving a perfect fusillade, and brought in a wounded man. Todd also wrought hard to save the guns.”

should have read

“….And one Todd, an American who had enlisted in Roberts’ Horse, galloped out to a donga, braving a perfect fusillade, and brought in a wounded man. Todd also wrought hard to save the guns.”
However, a full account of what Todd did to earn his DCM can be found in an unexpected source, “The History of Lumsden’s Horse” by Pearce, p105:

Henk

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.658 seconds