Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Percy Edward Cobden 5 months 2 weeks ago #92992

• Upwards
  • Upwards's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm trying to find as much info as I can about my Grandfather - Percy Edward Cobden. I've been able to determine that he went to SA for the Boer War. (see attached Attestation ) However, I have not been able to find out if/when he returned to the UK after the war (I do not believe he did and remained in SA .

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. I also have his bayonet. I do not think that the markings can be tied back to who it was issued to etc. Is that correct?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Percy Edward Cobden 5 months 2 weeks ago #92993

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1542
Upwards
The attestation paper you posted (for the Militia??) was too small to read. However, the bayonet is a normal Pattern 1888 sword bayonet made by Enfield and bearing hilt markings IYC; possibly relating to the Imperial Yeomanry. On the strength of that I checked my IY CD for a P.E. Cobden but did not find any with that set of initials.
Perhaps if you post some more information, we might be able to held. BTW, welcome to the Forum.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Upwards

Percy Edward Cobden 5 months 2 weeks ago #92996

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1181
Hello Upwards
Welcome to the forum.
If possible could you provide details of Percy's place of birth?
The more information the forum has the better chance of helping you with your request.

Kind regards

Dave...
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Percy Edward Cobden 5 months 2 weeks ago #92997

• Neville_C
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2029
5967 Acting Corporal Percy Edward Cobden served in South Africa with the 5th (Militia) Bn. Rifle Brigade, with entitlement to the QSA with clasps for Cape Colony, Orange Free State and South Africa 1902.

As IL points out, the bayonet is marked to the Imperial Yeomanry Cavalry.
As his Rifle Brigade attestation papers state that he had no previous service on enrolment on 10 Oct 1901 (aged 18), it seems unlikely that the bayonet was officially issued to your grandfather.

Before the ABW he appears to have worked as a clerk with the London, Brighton & South Coast Railways, stationed firstly at Chichester and then at Bexhill (dismissed 18 Oct 1900). But, I'm sure you are probably aware of this.

Percy Edward Cobden 5 months 2 weeks ago #92998

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2161

Upwards wrote: I'm trying to find as much info as I can about my Grandfather - Percy Edward Cobden. I've been able to determine that he went to SA for the Boer War. (see attached Attestation ) However, I have not been able to find out if/when he returned to the UK after the war (I do not believe he did and remained in SA .

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. I also have his bayonet. I do not think that the markings can be tied back to who it was issued to etc. Is that correct?

You surmised correctly. He remained in SA and married a Muslim lady in Durban in 1921 (see below)

Attachments:

Percy Edward Cobden 5 months 2 weeks ago #92999

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 861
The 5th Battalion Rifle Brigade arrived in South Africa in January 1902 as indicated by this newspaper clipping from the Liverpool Mercury of 10th December 1901.

For more information on the Wakool and several photos follow this link:

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/9...hips?start=174#85841

Also the page from their Medal Roll bearing the name of 5967 Acting Corporal P Cobden. This can be found on Ancestry by doing a military search and entering the name P Cobden (initial only) and 5967 in the "Keyword" box.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds